3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

flexible group footer in report? (Access2000)

In an Access report, I need to create group footer. However, not all data will have info to be printed on the this group footer. Is there a way so that if there is no data to be printed on this footer, it shrinks by itself in order not to leave any blank space on a page?

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: flexible group footer in report? (Access2000)

In the properties box for your Group Footer, there should be a Can Shrink property. Make sure it is set to Yes. Then when there is no data in the Footer it shrinks up and doesn't leave a space. Also, I would set the CanShrink property of any text boxes in the Footer to Yes also.
    Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Paul,

It works exactly what I want. What I had not done was to set the textbox property to "can shrink" as well.

Thanks again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

What about if one of the text boxes in the footer is either to show a percentage (for computation in the footer) or blank? If the text boxes show strings, the can shrink property works fine. If they show number, this property does not help, I think.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I ran a quick test. I put a computation in a GroupFooter that read:
    =IIf(Sum([TimeAllocated])/Sum([TotalTime]) <=1,"",Sum([TimeAllocated])/Sum([TotalTime]) )
    This gave me a blank value anytime the result was less than 1. I didn't see any problem with the CanShrink property operating the way I expected. But, I had to make sure the top of the textbox was up tight to the GroupFooter Bar and the Report Footer Bar was up tight to the bottom of the textbox. If your textbox shows a 0 then the textbox and footer will not shrink. The value has to be Null or an Empty String.
    Hope this helps.
    Paul