New Lounger
    Thanks

Weird bookmark behavior in Word

UNRESOLVED WEIRD PROBLEM in WORD: BOOKMARKS

1) I don't use/insert any text or location bookmarks.
    2) I never use combination keystroke shortcuts.
    3) I've recently done alignment work on the vertical and horizontal layouts of neighboring text blocks and non-text-block text, in which I got the horizontal and vertical alignments I needed by inserting both leading spaces and changing their font sizes numbers, and by changing above-and-below line spacing points, to get the alignment/layout accuracy I wanted.

Shortly after I started the task, non-printing gray I-beams began to appear randomly but inconsistently, where I had tweaked both non-text-block text and the line spacing of text in a text box, and immediately left of the first character in a line.

They persist even when the paragraph mark is turned off. Diligent digging on my part found that I was seeing location bookmarks. I didn't create them, they are unnamed, and the bookmarking tool does not display them, allow me to name them, or enable me to remove them or prevent their display.

It's as if something lurking in the background is seeing my tweaking font space sizes and line spacings, and presuming (without asking me) that I'm creating location bookmarks.

It's even more exotic: after I had run some prints of the single page on which I did the tweaking, very faint thin light gray versions of the non-existing I-beam location bookmarks began to appear in the printed copies. That's a very real no-no: bookmarks are not supposed to print.

Explanations and fixes, please!
    I'm running Vista, which is kept up to date. My Microsoft suite programs are scrupulously updated, protected by Microsoft Security Essentials, and supervised by Secunia's PSI. I don't go to strange places on the web or open email from sources I don't recognize. I'll be happy to send you the document on which I did the work described above.

Thanks!
    Last edited by macropod; 2011-02-27 at 14:17. Reason: Fixed Post title

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I've never seen anything like that, but using spaces to pad out text is something I assiduously avoid. That's what tabs and indents and space before/after are for.

In past threads, I've heard of hidden bookmarks, named with a leading underscore character. It might be possible to flush these with a macro, but I haven't searched for one.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi LateHolm,

You don't have 'track changes' switched on do you? That will place change-tracking marks in the margins - even for formatting changes.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup, fiddling with space and character widths is a PITA -- I just don't remember how to reset the ruler to allow it to slide smoothly without stepping. And perhaps I'd do better by figuring how to lay out multiple text boxes on a page before starting to type . . .
    I'm always astonished, each of the maybe 2-3 times in a year that I try using Word's 'Help' screens, by how c-l-u-n-k-y they are. MS could learn a lot by figuring how to apply Google's search skills to the selection of help screens for users.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No. I wasn't using change tracking on the two mis-behaving single page documents that are bugging me. But I was working in .doc mode, instead of the (for me) unnecessary .docx mode.
    But you've given me the thought that I should save the created document as a .docx and then change it back to a .doc, to see if that will lose the visible but non-existing-unnamed location bookmarks that I never created or turned on . . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LateHolm View Post
    Yup, fiddling with space and character widths is a PITA -- I just don't remember how to reset the ruler to allow it to slide smoothly without stepping.
    I hold the Alt key.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

LateHolm (2011-02-26)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the bookmarks indicators are appearing in your printouts then they aren't bookmarks. Bookmarks are very common in documents with cross-references and tables of contents but they can also appear unbidden when you copy and paste content from other documents.

To view all bookmarks including the hidden ones you need to go to Insert>Bookmark and tick the Hidden bookmarks check box. You can delete individual bookmarks in that dialog but if you want to kill them all in one go then a macro is easier.
    Code:
    Sub RemoveAllBookmarks()
      Dim aBkMk As Bookmark
      For Each aBkMk In ActiveDocument.Bookmarks
        aBkMk.Delete
      Next aBkMk
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any chance they are non-width non-break characters?

They can't be bookmark indicators. Any chance you could upload one of these document?
    Last edited by TerFar; 2011-02-27 at 09:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Avoid the problem by using tables to align text?

From your initial description of the problem, it sounds like you haven't tried to align your text by embedding it in tables with invisible (or 0-width) lines.

That might avoid your problem, and simplify your edit process.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Weird bookmark behavior in Word

Quote Originally Posted by AGetzler View Post
    From your initial description of the problem, it sounds like you haven't tried to align your text by embedding it in tables with invisible (or 0-width) lines.

That might avoid your problem, and simplify your edit process.
    AHH! If you intended to type 'sounds like you HAVE tried to align ...' then we may be getting close to finding the fix. I'll upload a sample doc later today. In the meantime, I'll try to read about zero width lines and characters. If finding good sources is iffy, I'd appreciate direction to a good source. Thanks! Still