Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Creating File Structure On NAS Drive

I gave my Raidsonic NAS enclosure to my local computer technician to replace the 1TB drive with a 2TB drive, and to copy the contents of the old drive to the 2TB drive.

He has emailed me as follows:

"The problem that I'm having is that although the drive formats it fails to
    create the necessary file structure, it seems to me that the utility is
    encountering some limits.

I have tried all sorts of tricks like formatting the drive outside the
    enclosure and trying to manually create the necessary folders but it did not
    work.
    I have confirmed that the device has the very latest firmware installed on
    it and I even went as far as loading what they make available on their
    website just in case the version numbers were wrong.

Yes I will log a support call with Raidsonic to see what comes back.

By the way, when using the USB connection it works well but that obviously
    bypasses all the NAS features."

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread

Thanks

Question

Roy,

Just a thought...did the tech do the copy from the old drive to the new drive over the network? If not the NAS software may not be able to see the files, i.e. the files may not be in the shared area. I know this will take longer but it may solve the problem. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek,

Thanks a lot. The tech agrees you have a valid point, but has so far only been able to access the drive via usb. Do you have any other ideas?

Regards,
    Roy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roy,

Few quick questions for you,

1. Confirming the tech cannot access the newly installed 2TB hard disk via network i.e. using NAS features?

If so that's the first issue that has to be resolved if it was/is working fine with the older 1TB hard disk.

2. Brand/model of the 2TB hard disk?
    3. When the hard disk is connected via USB is this through the enclosure or standalone with a SATA/USB adapter?

It may be incompatible with the enclosure as some newer hard disks are using 4KB cluster technology. This may cause issues with the assumingly linux distribution that runs the NAS interfaces.

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

As RetiredGeek mentions hard disks are usually formatted in a particular folder structure not seen by the end user by the linux operating run on the NAS to provide the sharing features like SAMBA, NFS, FTP etc. This along with potential file/folder permission issues as the hard disk may not be formatted as NTFS in many cases.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi JDB1984,

The tech has replied as follows:

"Yes I have read the Wiki article but it’s clear to me that it’s not a formatting problem. The drive formats well (inside the enclosure) and gives me all its available capacity, what fails is the NAS management software that is built into it.

I have tested this by taking the hard disk out of the enclosure and attaching it directly to a computer, I have also gone the other way ie format/prepare the drive on a PC and place it in the enclosure afterwards.

In all scenarios I managed to get it to work perfectly using the USB connection but the NAS server fails to create the necessary file structure on the drive and returns ‘general error’. Creating the structure manually did not work either.

By next week I should have all the latest prices of the new models that are available. I shall also discuss the matter with the Raidsonic people in case the persons present on the stand at the fair might know of some workaround."

If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. Otherwise I will await to hear from the tech after he returns from the CeBit trade fair in Germany.

Regards,Roy