Star Lounger
    Thanks

Citations under the References Tab

Word 2007 - Something really weird is going on and I can't seem to fix it. Over time, I have added many resources to my master list while I'm working on my doctorate. Recently, I noticed that some of my citations (APA style) started including the author's initials in addition to last name. Of course, this is incorrect. I went back to 'Manage Sources' and checked. The weird thing is that while a resource is on the left side (Master List), if I click on it, the citation that shows up on the bottom of the dialog box looks correct (Schaller, 1984) but when I copy it to the right side (Current List) and then click on the resource, I get the wrong info (Schaller L. E., 1984). It seems the only way to fix it is to convert the citation to static text within the document and then edit it so the initials are not included, per APA format. This happens to three of my resources and none others. I have deleted them from the right side and copied them from the left again but nothing changes. I haven't tried deleting them completely and entering them as new sources yet. Any ideas as to what is going on and/or how to fix it? Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm going to be starting my dissertation in a few weeks and don't need this complication.

Thanks
    I'm not so familiar with APA citations, but are some of your author names duplicated? Such as Smith, James and Smith, Frank?

I found that the only way I could recreate your issue was if two authors had the same last name.

But I also found that I have a space between the initial and the comma which isn't there when it simply displays the last name: (Smith J. , 2011)

Not sure but what I haven't made this a little muddier... Kim

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kmurdock For This Useful Post:

jpzinn (2011-02-27)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might be on to something. The citations in question are all by the same author. However, the weird thing is I have cited this author in several other assignments and even in the assignment where I first noted it without the initials showing up. I turned the assignment in and they were correct. I had to make a few adjustments to the paper (not to the citations) and resubmit the assignment. When I submitted it the second time, then the teacher marked the citations wrong. They weren't wrong the first time and I don't know how they got changed and now I can't avoid those initials. It might be that Word is too smart for itself but how did it get so smart all of a sudden? Is there a way to make it dumb again?

Thanks

Maybe this will help?

LOL!

There are many who would suggest that Word isn't nearly as smart as it thinks it is!

Take a look at THIS ARTICLE and see if it helps you wrestle the format yourself.

Kim
    Last edited by kmurdock; 2011-02-28 at 21:09. Reason: adjusted the hyperlink

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That may be helpful but seems too much work right now. I'll just convert the erroneous citations to static text and then change them as needed. I wish I could figure out why it started doing that all of a sudden. Has some sort of Word update been pushed out that might have done this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpzinn View Post
    Has some sort of Word update been pushed out that might have done this?
    Well, this is speculation now, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that MS tried to "fix" something and/or broke something. It's also not impossible that they updated the APA rules from v5 to v6 (even though the new rules have been out for over a year). Would that account for the difference in citation style?

Any patch that would affect the APA rules would probably be rolled into a lot of other little changes. You might be able to uninstall a patch, but it might not give you the results you want.

I think you've got your priorities straight. Unless someone else has the magic answer, use your workaround and focus on the content of your paper.

Best of luck with it,
    Kim

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi jpzinn,
    Quote Originally Posted by jpzinn View Post
    That may be helpful but seems too much work right now. I'll just convert the erroneous citations to static text and then change them as needed. I wish I could figure out why it started doing that all of a sudden. Has some sort of Word update been pushed out that might have done this?
    I suspect that what's happened is that you've inserted citations for the same author, but for different works, and, in one or more of them, the initials have been input differently from the rest, so that Word regards them as different authors and, to differentiate them, needs to include the initials.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]