Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Logon screen background image

I've asked this question on Microsoft Answers and haven't gotten a reply yet...

Where does Windows 7 store the background image file for the logon screen? It is not Windows\System32\oobe\background.bmp. I've changed that image, but it has no effect.

I know the registry entry and the oobe\info\backgrounds method and the jpg sizes and I can (and have) change the logon background that way, but I would rather change the image file that Windows uses.

What I am asking is the name of the image file and where it is stored; if I can find it, I can change it. All the searches I've tried so far have proved fruitless.

Does anyone know where the file is, and its name?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why bother with that. Here is an app that will do it for you: http://www.julien-manici.com/windows...round_changer/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    Why bother with that. Here is an app that will do it for you: http://www.julien-manici.com/windows...round_changer/
    Please read my post. I want an answer to my specific question, please.

And for anyone else who reads my post, I would very much appreciate any reply that is directed toward my question, but I don't need any links to any apps that do what I can already do (and have already done) myself.

Thank you very much.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I think the default is in a dll. You need to use the registry change method or a third party app.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    I think the default is in a dll. You need to use the registry change method or a third party app.

Joe
    Do you know which dll? If I can find it, I can change it.

Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your background different while signing on, than at other times? Mine is the same. The image is "backgroundDefault.jpg", I think.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, that's it.
    I was getting the bg now-named Xbackgrounddefault.jpg on both logon and all other times. I created the girl pic, renamed X.... and named the girl backgrounddefault.jpg, so now she is the logon bg and the old one still shows up at all other times. Darned if I know why!!!
    Here's a pic with the location, etc.:
    logonBackground.jpg

Be careful to type the filename exactly, or the .bmp file shows, instead. The capital D doesn't seem to matter.
    Now, someone please tell me why the grayish thing still shows on regular backgrounds.

I wanted this skateboarder pic for my logon bg, a year ago when I got the PC, and via some menu, I changed the logon picture, but it only changed that little pic right above my password entry area, instead of the big background. So, this is cool.

If this is not what the OP was looking for, maybe it will help others. For those who don't know about all this, if I made my new pic 1920x1200 like the old one, it got squished down on my 1920x1080 screen, so I resized it to fit exactly. Also, I think I read on a search that it had to be less than 256k; I didn't try a bigger one.
    Last edited by cws; 2011-02-27 at 01:54. Reason: afterthoughts

Thanks
    BBearren, Check here: C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT\. This is where the backgrounds for the desktop are stored, for example if you choose slide show for your background, this is where those come from.

Desktop Backgrounds.jpg

As you can see I have added a few to the default. I have also combined some of the different country landscapes into one folder so I do not have to change my slide show to see more pics.

As a side note to change the Image displayed while entering your password I use a 3rd party app called Tweaks Logon Changer, which works very well. In checking it does appear cws has found the exact location of the Log On Image. This is my Image (My no kids at home any more, just the wife and I toy).

My Logon Pic.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-02-27 at 07:07.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I thank all for the further education, learn every day ! Jean.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    BBearren, Check here: C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT\. This is where the backgrounds for the desktop are stored, for example if you choose slide show for your background, this is where those come from....
    I don't have that 'logonbackgrounds' folder, so that must be created by the 'slide show' process. So, I'm still not sure where my normal background is coming from.

EDIT: I found it, in Windows/Web/Wallpaper/Dell. I thought the name had "black" in it, but it was "chrome". Duh!
    Last edited by cws; 2011-02-27 at 14:37. Reason: found it

Thanks
    Check the other folders in Globalization\MCT under the various mct folders. This is where many of my various landscapes came from. I also believe the slide show must create the logonbackgrounds folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks

Does anyone know...

the answer to my question? There is nothing new to me in any of the posts in this thread. I can make slideshows, I can edit Windows Themes, I can use the registry tweak and make a default background jpg and everything else that has been mentioned so far.

What I want to know is the location and name of the file that Windows uses for the logon background; the blue with the bird and the viney wispy twig. There are a number of locations in Windows where that background.bmp can be found, and I have changed each and every one of them that I can find to my own image with the same dimensions and file size.

Windows does not use any of those images for the default logon background. I want to find the image that Windows does use.

Does anyone know?

Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the image is stored in imageres.dll

New Lounger
    Thanks
    icame across it this morning it is in C:\Windows\System32\oobe its just called (background) it should be right in front of your face when you open (oobe) i dont know if replacing it will change the logon backgrond haven't tryed it yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrowman66 View Post
    icame across it this morning it is in C:\Windows\System32\oobe its just called (background) it should be right in front of your face when you open (oobe) i dont know if replacing it will change the logon backgrond haven't tryed it yet.
    Nope.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast