New Lounger
    Thanks

Way to permanently stop process?

2 problems during bootup: Problem #1: there is always a version of svchost.exe that takes forever to load. I know how to end that process but it takes time and is way annoying. Is there a way to permanently stop that process from trying to load? Problem #2: the version of svchost.exe that is slow changes from time to time. Sometimes it is PID 1248, sometimes PID 1276. So far I have identified about 12 versions of what appears to be the same process (lets call them the "bad guys"). It seems to me that some process calls the bad guys. Or, several programs have installed and call different versions of the same process. Is there a program that can identify what program or process keeps calling the bad guys? This has been driving me nuts for a long time. Please help. Thanks.

Thanks
    It would we worth you Googling SVCHOST.EXE, and discovering why terminating instances of it is not a good move...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You can use Process Explorer to see what is causing svchost.exe to start. If you are sure your system is malware free it is NOT a good idea to terminate svchost.exe instances.

Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

smee (2011-03-01)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    PID is just the internal Windows ID of the process and will change every time you re-start Windows.
    SVCHOST is an integral Windows file and should not be deleted - unless you don't want any network functionality.
    You will always have at least one copy of SVCHOST running when your computer is running.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

smee (2011-03-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Found the answer to my question of how to permanently stop this particular avatar of SVCHOST at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803 That process loads a service named dnscache. For the last few months, for some reason, most of the time, dnscache takes 20 to 30 minutes to load. I have been using task master to turn off that service without any apparent ill effects. However, like you, I don't like to mess with the system unless necessary. Given those facts, do you still think it is a bad idea to turn off dnscache? Does anyone know a way to make dnscache load faster? Thank you.
    Last edited by smee; 2011-03-01 at 22:52.

Thanks
    I'm using W7 but have had CPU % running away when DNScache decided to kick in (because it was being triggered by my VPN); 3 weeks later, after disabling it from starting via Window Management, no such problems. It might make general browsing a fraction slower but the CPU now does what I expect it to - sit at around 3-7% - not hit 100% for what seemed like forever and make everything else crawl or disconnect.

Right click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services - disable DNScache.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    There are several threads that discuss this when you search around a bit. It seems that this most commonly happens when you have a large HOSTS file. Several anti-malware programs add entries to the HOSTS file as a way of "immunizing" your system or blocking those sites.

Also, have you run malware scans?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smee View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Found the answer to my question of how to permanently stop this particular avatar of SVCHOST at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803 That process loads a service named dnscache. For the last few months, for some reason, most of the time, dnscache takes 20 to 30 minutes to load. I have been using task master to turn off that service without any apparent ill effects. However, like you, I don't like to mess with the system unless necessary. Given those facts, do you still think it is a bad idea to turn off dnscache? Does anyone know a way to make dnscache load faster? Thank you.
    If you have had a bad dnscache entry flushing it may resolve the issue without disabling the service, worth a try at least;
    from an elevated command prompt: type or paste "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes.

View the DNS resolver cache: ipconfig /displaydns

The above MS article also alludes to tweaking the timing of the cache that might prove usefull as well.