New Lounger
    Thanks

Seeking help with crashing

Greetings, looking for a bit of community wisdom!
    I'm helping an elderly lady with her pc problem. AMD Athlon x2 64 4000+ (Brisbane), Asus Motherboard.
    2 symptoms- Bad Checksum at boot. BIOS keeps resetting to 1/1/2002. I replaced the the CMOS battery (the unit is only 3 years old).
    No joy, it seems to reset after the machine crashes, but not every time. Which brings me to the next symptom; this thing is running HOT. I'm using the Core Temp app to monitor the CPU temperature.
    Under 2 or 3% load, it climbs from about 46 (degrees Centigrade) up to about 57, then drops down sharply to start at about 46 again.

When I tried running a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials, the temperature rose to about 101 degrees. Don't know what the load was, too busy freaking at the temperature! I shut it down, but I'm assuming that this is what is causing the crashes that come pretty regularly.

In case Core Temp was leading me astray, I had a look at the Hardware in BIOS-

CPU Temp 70 degrees
    MB Temp 42 degrees

CPU Fan 3214 rpm
    Chassis Fan 2191 rpm

vcore 1.312- 1.328
    3.3v 3.280v
    5v 4.915v
    12v 11.795v

It was long shot, but I redid the thermal paste. No change. The face of the heat sink block was pretty scratched where it contacts the CPU chip though,
    could that be making the cooling inefficient?
    It may have been a little heavy handed, but I completely zeroed the (scsi) drive with Darik's BootandNuke, and did a fresh install of Vista. Guess what?
    Still the same problems, so I have ruled out virus/trojan.
    I'm thinking the lady is gonna have to shell out for a new mainboard (NOT Asus this time!) Any other ideas, suggestions?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The voltages are all on the low side from the PS. Is there a way of plugging a bigger PS in to try this? I have seen voltages a little off cause components to run hot. How is the PS fan doing? Does the chassis fan seem to be running to spec for speed? (A new chassis fan should not be real expensive.) I would not doubt the heat causes the crash and resets the Bios. Fixing the heat problem, then flashing the Bios may be the ticket. Are all chassis connectors completely seated. I would remove, clean what ever contacts you can get to then reseat all connectors. Corrosion on contacts can also affect heat. Doesn't take much. What kind of environment does it normally run in? (closed PC drawer versus open area, dusty, hot ambient temp) These can stress things as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted! It's pretty clean inside, but I will try re-seating all the plugs tomorrow.
    I lowered the voltages myself, thought that might stop the CPU generating so much heat. It hasn't made things any better or worse as far as as I can tell, so I'll put that all back to default.
    I am suspect on the PSU though, it's a rather generic looking $30 unit I think. I recall now thinking I couldn't hear it's fan running- definitely at the top of my list for the morning!

Thanks
    Keep in mind that most PSU's fans run only when needed.

Thanks
    Sounds like damage to the board, possibly from excessive & prolonged heat. Seems to me there should be other issues going on here as well, like some serious CPU throttling with load more than just a simple AV scan.

It was long shot, but I redid the thermal paste. No change. The face of the heat sink block was pretty scratched where it contacts the CPU chip though,
    could that be making the cooling inefficient?
    That could have been the problem all along, but it's hard to say for certain. There are other issues for the excessive heat as well, like storage location preferences/ventilation etc.

I'm thinking the lady is gonna have to shell out for a new mainboard (NOT Asus this time!) Any other ideas, suggestions?
    Asus isn't bad I wouldn't slight it so quickly, but I'm more partial to an intel chipset on an Asus board than AMD.

Thanks
    I have an ASUS in my system now and had another one before this...
    The only problem I ever had was getting a cracked one but who knows whose fault that was...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    You could try a new heatsink/Fan for not too much cost. I assume you verified the fan runs. Maybe it's running slow???

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Where did my post go? Ah, here goes again...

Prime suspect now voltage regulators on this make and model of motherboard-
    http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...threadid=95179

Now I want more opinions! Assuming I replace MB now ( and DDR2 mATX units seem to be getting scarce), will the lady get another year or two of very modest computer use before upgrading? 101 degrees is pretty extreme, even for a short time yes? And how likely is it that RAM (for example) has had it's life shortened due to the MB running hot?

On the one hand, upgrading is kind of inevitable; on the other, the system is more than sufficient for the users needs (and she's a widow, ya know?)

Someone give me a nudge off the fence here!
    And thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Your above link seems to offer a fix for it, so why not just do it for her. You have already gone this far for her.
    You will have afforded the owner the time to plan an overall computer upgrade...unless she wants to buy a new computer now.