Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Can't remove (hidden) page breaks (Word 97 SR 2)

I have scanned in a number of pages from an HP LaserJet 3100, and converted them to text format (RTF) using the built-in OCR software. I then removed the frames which surround each 'chunk' of text by clicking in turn on a frame and doing Format => Frame => Remove frame (is there any easy way of doing this to the whole document in one pass?).

I am now left with a number of pages, each with the original text all together at the top of the page, a fair amount of white space following it at the bottom. Turning on Show/Hide Paragraph marks indicates that there is a small number of paragraph marks following the text on each page but no sign of a Page break 'line'. The final paragraph mark on each page cannot be removed. So obviously "something" is keeping the pages apart, but it isn't showing.

Ideas, please, for the foolproof way of collapsing all the text onto one page (or a very few pages)? Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Can't remove (hidden) page breaks (Word 97 SR 2)

What is the style of the text in the first paragraph on a page following one of these non-existent page breaks? Any chance that it is formated for page break before?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No sign of any "Page break before"; best I can do is a "Not widow/orphan control". I should also have mentioned that there is a paragraph mark on an otherwise-empty final page, which cannot be removed either.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

A couple ideas: you could try selecting all the text and setting the style back to "normal," or select all and reset all the individual settings. (Paragraph, font, so on)

Or you could copy all your text, go to a new Word doc, and paste it using a Paste Special command, possibly plain text.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Your first idea works fine (apart from stuffing the formatting!!), for which Many Thanks, and I end up with a "Page Break" and a "Section Break (Next Page)" at the end of each "page" of text.

My supplementary question is therefore: how can the original state of affairs be explained, and is there any less drastic method of getting rid of the Paragraph Marks which doesn't cause the formatting to be destroyed?

Never satisfied, me!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you need to try another OCR software, or are there some additional settings in it that will give you cleaner text in Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might want to try copying the text into a new document one page at a time. Select only the text you need, and definitely don't include those "undeletable" paragraph marks. If this works, it should keep your formatting intact.

Lin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If the formatting is not important, select all, cut and Paste Special choosing text only.

If formatting is important, put the document in Normal View, reveal all the non-printing characters, make sure Track Revisions is off. Now look for page breaks or paragraph formatting (Line and Page Breaks Tab) on the paragraphs either side of where the page breaks occur.

This does assume that your OCR software actually worked and the text is editable text and not raster graphics. The last possibility is that the text is contained in floating (Graphic) elements and therefore not going to behave in the same way as text stored in the text layer.

If you still can't solve the problem, post the document so we can have a look at it.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John:

Two other things that you might look at are:
    1. Check under page setup to see the margins; you might have a large bottom margin or space for the footer.

2. I may have missed this, but I didn't see anyone mention space after.

By the way, the final paragraph mark on the last page can never be deleted. It contains the section formatting for the last section (or the entire document if there's only one section) as well as formatting for the final paragraph.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Quickie frame remover:

<pre>Sub FrameRemover()
    Dim intFrames As Integer
    With ActiveDocument
    For intFrames = .Frames.Count To 1 Step -1
    .Frames(intFrames).Delete
    Next
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

(I count down from the end because I am shrinking the collection.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for your comments, but they don't seem to have got quite to the heart of the matter, not surprisingly since you don't have the file in front of you! I don't have the option of different OCR software, because ReadIris is what came with the LaserJet 3100 "all-in-one", and it works fairly well in generating an editable RTF with frames round all the text 'chunks'.

I've removed almost all the text and will (hope to - first time!) post the resulting RTF with this message. Please have a play, noting that you cannot get rid of the final paragraph mark on each page, and that the box grid bottom line moves down as you put new paragraph marks at the bottom of the page. Anyone who can tell me exactly WHY the file is as it is, and what can be done about it, will receive eternal gratitude (if not longer...!).

Slightly later - the BBS won't accept RTFs, so it's been converted to a Word 97 DOCument, six times the size! Hope it retains the characteristics.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

John,

That is a strange document - each page appears to be a different section (the document contains 3 sections) but no section breaks are visible, even in Normal view. I would have suspected section breaks with hidden font applied, but that's not the case.

If I had to deal with this document, I'd chalk it up to some unspecified form of document corruption and would copy the text and paste as unformatted text into a clean document.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Jefferson,

I was about to post similar code but got caught on one part I couldn't (quickly) fix: when you delete a frame (whether manually or via code) Word automatically applies a box paragraph border around the text that was inside the frame.

So: how do you (a) delete the frames and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] turn off the borders all at one go programmatically?

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you use Normal view and simply delete each section break, that should do it without affecting the formatting.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Does anybody notice that if you put the cursor at the beginning of the second page and press Backspace, you can see Section Break (Next Page); if you press Backspace once again, it will move the first line from the second page to the end of first page for a while, then the document restores itself? It looks very strange to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast