3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need training for Office 2010

Going to Office 2010 is not as simple as it might seem in a 100 plus office.

Here are the questions I get:
    If we change over we need training or the union will file a grievance.
    How much training is required what is in a typical training syllabus.
    If office is phased in, how will others read an office 2010 document in the meantime.
    The must be other problems of not converting so are can anyone else enumerate them? I know it is impossible to download a model for a calendar or anything else
    Are there other issues?
    Is there a how to manual?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    How much training is required what is in a typical training syllabus. - The amount of training depends on the current Office version.

If office is phased in, how will others read an office 2010 document in the meantime. - If you have a version older than Office 2007 you can install the Office compatability pack on the older version or you can continue to save documents in the old format. Older versions of Office will not be able to use new features.

The must be other problems of not converting so are can anyone else enumerate them? - Not sure. It depends on how much of Office you use, how extensively you use it, and how much custom development has been done.

Are there other issues? - Sure Custom forms, macros, programs, etc. all must be tested.

Is there a how to manual? - How to what? Use Office 2010? Convert to Office 2010?

I'd recommend you contacting a local Office expert for help. You're asking some very generic questions which need much more detail to even come up with a plan.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We are using office 2003 have have not had any training since office 2003 was intalled in 2004

macros are a rare event for word and powerpoint, and the great majority of excel filesl, however most access applications have macros.

I hope this clarifies things,

I understand that there are addins that convert the new menu to an old menu,

I which Office 2010 implemented this option.

We are not converting because the it department does not know how to line up their ducks in a row.

I am asking these questions to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    How much training is required what is in a typical training syllabus. - The amount of training depends on the current Office version.

If office is phased in, how will others read an office 2010 document in the meantime. - If you have a version older than Office 2007 you can install the Office compatability pack on the older version or you can continue to save documents in the old format. Older versions of Office will not be able to use new features.

The must be other problems of not converting so are can anyone else enumerate them? - Not sure. It depends on how much of Office you use, how extensively you use it, and how much custom development has been done.

Are there other issues? - Sure Custom forms, macros, programs, etc. all must be tested.

Is there a how to manual? - How to what? Use Office 2010? Convert to Office 2010?

I'd recommend you contacting a local Office expert for help. You're asking some very generic questions which need much more detail to even come up with a plan.

Joe
    Last edited by r3x3; 2011-03-01 at 17:25.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are a couple of links that may help.....

Make the switch to Excel 2010

Word help

This one is very useful for all components of Office 2010......
    Learn where menu and toolbar commands are in Office 2010

Edit Added:
    Make the switch to Word 2010
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-03-01 at 17:35. Reason: added a Word link

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to thank you all for your answers, I known that microsoft training are just wonderful, but I am also faced with two prevailing attitudes in the office; any change will be is most likely to be troublesome, and our IT department's attitude which is whatever you try to do do as little as possible. We have often trailed in last place for adopting new software. I guess we need some sort of group consulling.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will you also be converting to Win7 at the same time?
    Consider starting the conversion process with yourself and a couple of key members of the team who are not adverse to change. Make notes of issues encountered.

I agree with Joe that with over 100 users, "I'd recommend you contacting a local Office expert for help".

One question is bound to be repeated over and over .....
    "How can I do it the way I did it before?"

Good Luck !!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r3x3 View Post
    I understand that there are addins that convert the new menu to an old menu,
    A program like UBitMenu may be helpful in the transition. I'm surprised at how reasonably priced it is: http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/ or Download Business (ubitmenu.com)

Of course, the user does have to click into a tab on the ribbon, so it isn't a seamless Office 2003 experience, but it's still going to ease the burden on the IT department significantly.

...I am also faced with two prevailing attitudes in the office; any change will be is most likely to be troublesome, and our IT department's attitude which is whatever you try to do do as little as possible. We have often trailed in last place for adopting new software. I guess we need some sort of group consulling.
    There's no getting around the fact that people don't like change when it comes to their productivity software. Some resist more than others, and they might be hopeless. For everyone else, I think you need to give a really good reason for the change and then support them as much as possible.

Maybe it would motivate your IT if you put out bids for Office-specific support?
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-03-03 at 20:28. Reason: Different UBit link

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Customizable Office and Windows Training

You may want to check out https://velsoftcourseware.com/. They offer a ton of training on many versions of Windows and Office. It's easy and customizable!

~Kim McKay, Senior Editor, Velsoft Training Materials Inc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Office Training

I traverse the US doing these trainings for small to medium sized firms - you're not alone. You may want to gently make the case that the cost of deferring formal training is punitive. The Office Suite is a powerful, productivity package waiting to be unwrapped. Companies who offer training realize significant gains in productivity, efficiency and engagement.

I would like to thank you all for your answers, I known that microsoft training are just wonderful, but I am also faced with two prevailing attitudes in the office; any change will be is most likely to be troublesome, and our IT department's attitude which is whatever you try to do do as little as possible. We have often trailed in last place for adopting new software. I guess we need some sort of group consulling.
    "Jeep" Fortuna
    Corporate Trainer
    Training-2-Go

New Lounger
    Thanks

Training for Office 2010 is a good thing.

I've got the ribbon office suite at home (2007, but the ribbon is the crucial thing) but at work we're limping along with old everything. The switch to the ribbon is jarring. I resent the "averse to change" label being dumped on anyone who does not think everything Microsoft does really suits them. I had made extensive changes to my task bars to suit the work I do, and the way I do it (omitting task bar icons for tasks I do with keyboard short-cuts, for example, and using the space for less frequently used, but important-to-me-functions.) The "ribbon" does not not allow customization, so it's one-set-up-fits-all. You might consider that the union actually has the right idea - to dump 2007 or 2010 on an office with no training would waste a huge amount of time with everyone trying to figure out where their page-set-up function had been hidden.
    Generic training would waste a lot of time on functions of no interest to your business - mine included a lot on creating brochures and Microsoft power-point templates. I would recommend a training specific to the needs of your office. And please don't label people who resent facing screens with pictures of scissors and paste pots as defective; it just pisses us off.
    I'm happy for the people who like Microsoft training and "help". Last week I had a rare need to alphabetize a list. I was sure it could be done, but couldn't remember how. Microsoft help? never found it there. Google? sure, in a second I was able to get this information.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lots of free resources

We migrated to Office 2007 a couple years ago and have found it to be a very positive change. There are a lot of resources available on the Microsoft Office website:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...74.aspx?CTT=97

Ribbon Hero is a great tool to help users learn. Users can play challenges, score points, and compete with thier friends while improving their productivity with Office. Users also improve their score when using Office while performing their regular duties. Here's a link to the Ribbon Hero site:

http://www.officelabs.com/ribbonhero?WT%2Emc%5Fid=1013

When we first considered migrating to Office 2007, I found some background on why and how the ribbon was developed to be very helpful in providing some context around the change for myself and users. Here are a couple resources, while they're still directed at Office 2007, they give you that background:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/su...8.aspx?redir=0

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/arch...he-ribbon.aspx

And finally, @friscomama, the ribbon is completely customizable in Office 2010:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/on...697.aspx?CTT=1

Hope this helps and good luck, r3x3!