2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MSE scheduled scan didn't run

I'm on Win7 Home Premium. Last week my PC was sleeping when the scan was scheduled, so it didn't, and as I later learned shouldn't, run. So, I did a 'scan now' and then changed it to Tuesday at 3pm. I awoke my PC at 2:30, or so, today, and was using it until about 3:20. Then, I left it alone for a while, just moving the cursor now and then, to keep it awake. Still, at 3:50pm, the scan had not run. So, I hit update to force it to get the latest definition file. That ran OK. Still, at 4:05, no scan has run. I double checked all settings, and don't see why not. I have it set to not use more than 50% of resources, but don't see that as a reason for not running. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Hi cws, as long as your program is up to date I would'nt worry about it doing a scan on a schedule. I use Avira on my Laptop & Avast 6 on my Desktop, after installing, both did a full scan, found nothing and have not scanned since.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi cws, as long as your program is up to date I would'nt worry about it doing a scan on a schedule. I use Avira on my Laptop & Avast 6 on my Desktop, after installing, both did a full scan, found nothing and have not scanned since.
    Well, I've done manual scans, and am not particularly worried that it will find something. It's more that I wonder if there's a bug in MSE, causing it to miss scheduled scans. If so, maybe I should report it to them. I changed the scheduled scan to 8pm that evening, and it ran at 7:40 or so, as it should. I see no difference in the two settings - I was using the PC at both times. Probably just one of those glitches never to be explained...like my $%#^ing cell phone alarm that has failed to sound, twice in the last couple of months. Gremlins inside, I reckon! ;-)

Thanks
    I tried MSE for a week or so and found it as usefull as an ashtray on a motor cycle. Of the 2 I'm using, Avast updates auto. every 4 hours (desktop) which runs 24/7. Avira at midnight & midday, plus it runs if a scheduled update is missed, handy being on my Laptop.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had Norton last year, but didn't want to pay for it, so I got MSE. I set up a task to go get the updates every 6 hours. I think they put out only about 2 or 3 a day. MSE doesn't have a lot of features - they're probably saving those for the $$$ version, after they get us hooked. So far, I have no real complaints.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cws View Post
    I had Norton last year, but didn't want to pay for it, so I got MSE. I set up a task to go get the updates every 6 hours. I think they put out only about 2 or 3 a day. MSE doesn't have a lot of features - they're probably saving those for the $$$ version, after they get us hooked. So far, I have no real complaints.
    MSE is designed to be a simple to install, simple to use product that people who are inexperienced or uncomfotable with a/v software can install and forget about. I doubt you'll see much added to it. Microsoft has to walk a fine line there.

Joe