Lounger
    Thanks

slow while copying, moving or deleting

I try to keep my machine clean, with no experimental downloads, freeware etc. In the past few weeks I have noticed the hourglass appearing (see screen shot attached) when I am doing simple tasks, such as copying, moving or deleting files.

We are talking small 20 kb, 100 kb doc, xls or pdf files, nothing huge. I have run antivirus (symantec enterprise and malwarebytes), cleaned with ccleaner, defragmentation is less than 1%, chkdsk reports no disk errors, nothing new autostarting etc. etc.

I don't think this happened after a windows update, I generally keep my eyes open for anomalies after any update. Appreciate any assistance.

Jay
    Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, 150 GB free, 4 GB ram, dual core CPU, 2.0 ghz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Check how much is running in the background using msconfig.exe:

msconfig.jpg

As can be seen I have exactly 4 apps starting at Windows Startup. All startup apps consume system resources and can slow things down.

You can also use What's In Startup to see these items and easily delete or disable unneeded items:

WhatsInStartup.jpg

It's difficult to tell from your post if this might be part of your problem, but people chronically have much more than needed starting with Windows and can't understand why their systems do not run faster. This may be an easy way to solve part of the problem.

Post what msconfig.exe or What's In Startup shows from your PC. We can advise from that point. Good luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Your screen shot shows a network file transfer so you have 2 machines to check over.

Is local copying slow as well?

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking, do you have the same problem there?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Firstly, this problem happens approximately one out of every three or four operations, so its not every single time.
    Secondly, yes, it occurs during local copying, deleting, moving as well, I just happened to get a screen shot while I was moving something to the server.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The screen shot of all startup items is attached. I should mention that I have not added anything new since the problem started, all the little utilities I use have been on this system long before the problems. Thanks, a fresh set of eyes on the startup items is always helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    150GB free - what size is the drive?

Is this related to particular view settings in the folders (do you set CCleaner to remove the thumbnail cache?) ? Or file types (not all file types might trigger an autoscan by the AV)?

How about checking through your shell extensions using Autoruns? You can save a list and attach it but you're probably better placed to check for recently added shell extensions than we are

As for the Startups, I removed the Intel entries on my netbook, I'd also remove the Installshield, Java, and Adobe ARM.

Try Safe Mode to see if there's any slow copying happening there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LA-Jay View Post
    The screen shot of all startup items is attached. I should mention that I have not added anything new since the problem started, all the little utilities I use have been on this system long before the problems. Thanks, a fresh set of eyes on the startup items is always helpful.
    I have included a shot of your startup. The items in Yellow I would definitely delete. These definitely do not need to run in the background. The items in Red most likely do not need to run in the background. Stopping these might mean it takes a second or 2 longer to start when you actually need to run this stuff, but I have found that most of the stuff that was running in the background is stuff I only use intermittently and thus the increase in speed for everyday use more than makes up for the very short additional start up time when I actually need to run an app. I hope this helps.

LaJayStartupRecommend.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that your hard drive is either going bad or has some bad sectors on it. You will need some tools to check the drive. You drive's manufacturer should provide a utility to do such checks (I have Seagate drives and the SeaTools utility is perfect for this). If it is a drive issue, then something as simple as running a full chkdsk might fix it (that's cause the bad sectors to be remapped). Otherwise you might have to initialize and reformat the drive (the manufacturer's tools should provide an initialization utility that zeroes out all of the sectors - this process will definitely remap bad sectors).

Thanks
    Personally, for most people, I would recommend leaving the Java Updater in your list of Startup programs. It has a minimal effect on performance and will alert you to Java updates that close security holes.

Jerry

Thanks
    I use a couple of different apps regularly that check for updates so I do not need to leave anything running in the back ground checking for me. I use FileHippo Update Checker (download link in upper right corner) and Secunia PSI.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I unchecked Acrobat and Adobe and SunJava. I need Cinta notes (note taking program with hotkey), Pure Text (pastes text without formatting), Quickfinder (updates Wordperfect index every 4 hours, which I need) and WizMouse (changes window focus without clicking).

I guess Symantec is needed as well, so that leaves me with IgfxTray, HotkeysCmds and Persistence. Any idea what these are?
    Thanks, Jay

Thanks
    IgfxTray

HotkeysCmds

Persistance

The first 2 are not needed as these can be opened when needed. I would leave Persistance as this allows non-native resolutions on your monitor.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted