Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exit out or X out?

I have heard a lot of pros and cons on whether you can exite a program, like IE with clicking on nthe X or using the EXIT command in the menu..

Does it REALLY make a difference?
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I have heard a lot of pros and cons on whether you can exite a program, like IE with clicking on nthe X or using the EXIT command in the menu..

Does it REALLY make a difference?
    Hi Banyarola, who is 'Every' as in your new sig.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    With a MAC it might but not Windows, unless you have a program that closes out to the taskbar.

Thanks
    Ooops, RR I'll correct the sig now...

Clint, I didn't think it made a difference but I have heard that some programs should be exited out and not Xed out...

Yes, I have some programs that close out to the task bar...

I just seem to remember reading that exiting is better...Why I don't know..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is up to the individual application as to how the particular option is handled. Theorectically, there is supposed to be no difference. In practice, there may be.

Joe

Thanks
    The only thing I don't use the X in the upper right corner are those nefarious fake security warning things. These I use Task Manager on. All other apps, including either of my browsers (IE and Chrome) I use the X. Does not seem to make any differencee.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the Alt F4 as per the old DOS days. Got to be different. JP.

Thanks
    I've never observed any problems in exiting by clicking the 'X' block, but I always make sure to close any open files beforehand.

Thanks
    yes Tech, Task manager is what I always use when it comes to unknowns. But, not everyone is as smart as you and I are...

Thanks
    If I'm closing trusted apps. I usually click file>exit. Suspicious apps using Task Manager.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    It is up to the individual application as to how the particular option is handled. Theorectically, there is supposed to be no difference. In practice, there may be.

Joe
    I concur. Particularly when it comes to business related applications. I know of some that do not log the user off the database unless they click File/Exit. In the case of Citrix access or Terminal Services, clicking the X disconnects the session but does not log it off (Sys Admins have a way of dealing with those orphaned connections). For most consumer apps, clicking the X works just fine.

Chuck
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-03-02 at 15:56.
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Programmers SHOULD handle the "window closing" event in their application and make sure everything is handled correctly in all cases, but some just put the code in File/Exit. My basic principle is to try the X with something unimportant and if I get problems use File/Exit.

To Handcuff36, although I've been around since before the PC came out I don't really know what Alt-F4 does (I do use it sometimes - like when I've lost my mouse). Is it handled by Windows and performs an X, or is it handled by the application and performs a File/Exit, or does it do something else - close the application? I suspect the last. That is why programmers need to handle the events - they always happen, even if you use Start/Shutdown!

As for Doc Brown, I believe the Terminal Services and Citrix behaviour is "by design". It comes from the concept that X closes the window, not necessarily the program (almost all windows have an X, not all are app main windows).

If your program has a life outside the window (like a remote session), closing the window should not automatically close the program (or session). Obviously most programs don't have life beyond the window so there's no difference. Take for example Outlook, which DOES have life beyond the window - MS instructions used to make the point that you had to use File/Exit to close the program and force some changed settings to be recognised. One of my favourite "fixes" in Office 2007 over 2003 was that Word and Excel converged their behaviour - one used to close the PROGRAM INSTANCE on X whereas the other just closed the FILE. How many people have lost an hours work on a spreadsheet by closing a scratch sheet without saving and accidentally closing the main sheet as well? You could try guessing whether the two docs you had open were in different instances or the same instance, but it was never obvious. Now they both just close the visible file.

And tedshemyers advice should be on a sticker on the screen of every new PC!

Oops - a sermon again. Sorry

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some apps that are programmed with the File/Exit performing differently than the X. This can mean that if you use the X to exit, the settings of the app will not be saved, whereas using the File/Exit will save the app settings such as position and size of the of the app window.
    If you don't care about such things, you can use the X, but if you want to be sure to save the app settings, use the File/Exit.

Dan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was taught to use File/Exit and not X because File/Exit closes the application and X closes the window but not necessarily the application.
    Junk1t

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office programs don't do well with the "X"

MS Office programs do not close properly when using the "X". File>Close, File>Exit are the recommended method. This is even more important when you have add-ins that may have their own Open and Close event codes.
    finalword

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast