Thanks

System Restore Question

In Win7 I do not see the ability to create a restore point yourself, as you could in XP. Have I missed anything??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Right click on "Computer", select "Properties", click on "System Protection" in the left column, click on the "Create" button at the bottom of the "System Protection" tab. OR click the start orb, type create restore in the search bar, click on Create restore point.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the really neat features of Windows 7 is the "Search Files and Programs" bar just above the Start Menu. It took me the better part of 6 months to make use of daily! So you just may not be used to using it, or thinking that it could be helpful. Anyway, start typing in "create restore point" and you'll see a link in the search results. Click it, and viola! Ne need to remember where it lives! Hope that helps!

EDIT: Well Joe beat me to it!

Chuck
    Chuck

Thanks
    Just my 2 cents, but having Up To Date images on my system negates the need for System Restore at all. The key here is "Up To Date". System Restore attempts (attempts is important here) to restore Win 7 system files to a know good configuration, and is often successful, but not always. An Up To Date Image has ALWAYS been successful in restoring my entire HD, not just the system files. YMMV! I find that a good 3rd party Imaging app is indispensable in this endeavor.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks to all three of you. I am just learning about system images here and the info I have picked up is most valuable. SysRestore didn't work most of the time in XP anyway but I did use it the other night when "I" did something stupid!! and wondered about setting my own restore point.

BJ

Administrator
    Thanks
    System Restore has its place. If you are like most users and have a system with only one HD then an image of the system will contain all your data too. If you restore the image you restore all your data to that point in time. You'll need to know what you've changed or not worry about it. With a system restore your data is not affected.

Joe

Thanks
    This is the biggest reason why I set up a 2nd partition for my data. I chose 75 GB for my C Drive for OS and apps, and the remaining portion of the original 320 GB hd for data. because my data is not a lot, I Image both C and D drives whenever I Image, but when I restore, generally I restore just C drive. This allows all my data to remain intact. I also moved any folders allowed to be moved from the C drive to the D drive (My Documents, app data, etc) I am very pleased with this setup.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    System Restore has its place. If you are like most users and have a system with only one HD then an image of the system will contain all your data too. If you restore the image you restore all your data to that point in time. You'll need to know what you've changed or not worry about it. With a system restore your data is not affected.

Joe
    I agree with this. I image just once a week and sometimes, though not often, System restore is, indeed, valuable. I see no reason to disable it, it's just another option that you have available, if you need to.

Thanks
    With a system restore your data is not affected.
    Joe
    This might be another thread.... don't know, but when I do Sys Restore on my Win 7 machine I lose all my Norton Internet Security update data. Any work around? other than making a daily backup of Norton IS.

BJ

Administrator
    Thanks
    It depends on how Symantec treats the data. If it is treated as a patch and under control of System Restore you are out of luck. That might be better answer in the Symantec forums.

Joe

Thanks
    . That might be better answer in the Symantec forums.
    Joe
    According to Symantec Community you have to turn off Tamper Protection in Norton AV or NIS before a system restore. But it took some digging to find it, through some unfriendly territory! I'm not going to test that until I have to!! Thanks for your help.

BJ

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. And good luck remembering to do that.

Glad you found a resolution though. Thanks for posting back.

Joe