New Lounger
    Thanks

favorites icons covered with blue ball since SP1

Ever since the Win7 SP1 update was applied, my favorites icons have been covered with blue balls. I say covered since when i go to "organize favorites', all of the original icons are there. Anyone have an idea how to uncover the icons?

Thanks
    Post a shot so we can see what you are describing. I'm unsure what you are talking about here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    organize favorites.JPGfavorites.JPG
    it just seems to be when i make a new folder.

Thanks
    These appear to be the default IE icons that are assigned when you first set a site as a favorite. In my example, you can see the default icons and the icons that show up if I then go to the site and the site contains it's own icon. Note the icon for Sony eSupport. This icon was identical to the default until I clicked on the icon at which time the icon changed to the Sony eSupport assigned icon. You can also right click on the favorite and choose properties, then Change Icon and choose your own icon. For those sites that do not include an assigned icon, even after visiting the site the icon stays as the default browser icon. (The DefaultIcon.png is my default browser icons. The Sears icon remained the same even after I visited the site using the favorite.)

FavoritesIcons.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-03-02 at 18:53.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    before the SP1, most of my icons were the ones used by the website, after the SP1 they were showing as the blue balls....but in the "organize favorites" menu they were as before. That is what i would like to go back to and i do not know how to do it. I do not want to choose an icon from a list.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyray View Post
    before the SP1, most of my icons were the ones used by the website, after the SP1 they were showing as the blue balls....but in the "organize favorites" menu they were as before. That is what i would like to go back to and i do not know how to do it. I do not want to choose an icon from a list.
    As I attempted to show, if you click on the favorite a second time to visit the site again, the icon related to that site will automatically replace the default icon. If there is NOT a default icon associated with the site you are visiting, then the browser default will remain unless you manually change it.

Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    show up if I then go to the site and the site contains it's own icon. Note the icon for Sony eSupport. This icon was identical to the default until I clicked on the icon at which time the icon changed to the Sony eSupport assigned icon.
    I'm sorry my wording was not clear enough.

Click on the favorite to visit the site again and the icon will automatically change to the site icon.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well, i guess the website that i tried (TTAC) removed their icon, because i have tried that with no success. Also, i removed the favorite from the list, went to the website and saved it again with no change.....but in the "organize favorites" list, their icon is there. So, they must still be using it. That is what confuses me. I am wondering if it is because i have those favorites in a folder.

Thanks
    Hmmm, I just tried the TTAC site and added it to my favorites and the TTAC icon shows up properly. Is this the only favorites that the icon does not change to the site icon when you revisit the site?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    None of the favorite icons (favicons?) in that folder will change. I even saved the same favorite in the overall favorites list and got the same blue ball (earth?) icon. i also went out to TTAC and overwrote the favorite with no change. i must have some setting wrong in IE and i cannot figure out what it is.
    Wally

Thanks
    At this point I'm unsure what the problem could be. If I come across something I will repost, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    I still do not know what the problem was, but i found a little free program called "faviconizer" that scanned all my links, went out to each website, got the favicon and replace the generic icons with the correct ones. It survived a reboot so i guess the problem is solved.
    Many Thanks,
    Wally

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Another nice free program is AM-Deadlink. It works with several browsers to validate your favorites & bookmarks and to keep your favicons correct.

NOTE: This programs keeps a copy of the favicon in a separate folder for each browser. That way the favicon is removed from the vagaries of temporary file management. However, if the favicon for the site changes you need to re-run the program and let it update the icon file.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, joe
    i had this program several years ago on another computer and i had forgotten about it.