3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP upgraded now won't reboot MS strikes again?

MS downloaded an upgrade for XP ... installed ... said reboot necessary. Sounds normal. Now won't reboot past the initial Intel Screen. Hitting F8 doesn't seem to work. I'll keep trying that. Hitting DEL brings up screen that says keyboard & mouse are detected. Says entering SETUP. But nothing happens.

Thanks
    Sounds like there were problems before the upgrade that manifested during the upgrade. Everyone is quick to blame MS but generally it is the original setup and existing problems that started things on the downhill slide. Try a repair install, then look for other problems before the upgrade. If the repair install does not work, then a reinstall may be necessary. A format reinstall would definitely fix any existing software problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Sounds like there were problems before the upgrade that manifested during the upgrade. Everyone is quick to blame MS but generally it is the original setup and existing problems that started things on the downhill slide. Try a repair install, then look for other problems before the upgrade. If the repair install does not work, then a reinstall may be necessary. A format reinstall would definitely fix any existing software problems.
    Oops. Forgot about external "free agent" HD which I have to disconnect before rebooting. That's my workaround for using it. Otherwise all is fine. Apologies to MS.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back with the results. This may remind others of this as posing problems under similar circumstances.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Some PC's will try to boot from any USB device (drive) plugged into the PC during boot.
    On many PC's that I've set up for customers, I cannot even leave my Utilities Flash Drive plugged into a USB port when rebooting the PC.
    This seems to be worse on laptops than on desktop PC's. Go figure!

If you can believe the rumors flying around the internet, XP updates are causing more problems than solving them. Whether it's on purpose or by accident, is still up for debate.
    The popular fix is to just shut off Auto Updates and only do a manual update after backing up your C: drive, if you still feel like you want the MS Updates.
    My own MS Update has been turned off for some time now and I see no down-side. My PC still works just fine.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Al,

It is necessary to disconnect all peripheral drives before re-booting after? in my case installing XP sp 3. This fixed your problem? I have a similar problem ever since letting MS install the sp 3, software. My indications are continually corrupted registry, unstable operation, despite running several registry repair programs. Any insight would be welcomed!!

Regards,
    Marty
    Regards,
    Marty

"Aerodynamics Is For Those Who Cannot Build Engines" - Enzo Ferrari

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mojave1 View Post
    Hi Al,

It is necessary to disconnect all peripheral drives before re-booting after? in my case installing XP sp 3. This fixed your problem? I have a similar problem ever since letting MS install the sp 3, software. My indications are continually corrupted registry, unstable operation, despite running several registry repair programs. Any insight would be welcomed!!

Regards,
    Marty
    Just one external drive (Seagate "free agent") has to be disconnected for reboot. Seagate knows about the problem, but won't fix it. Otherwise updates to XP and reboots all work fine for me. Reboots are a little slow, but that is likely because of other programs on board that also have to fire up in the boot process.

Have a great Spring day.
    Al

Thanks
    You might want to check the boot options in your BIOS (i.e. CMOS). You can probably disable the system from trying to boot from your USB drive. (I have my computer boot options to CD first, local harddrive second, and USB third...)

Instructions to get into your BIOS vary from system to system, but usually involves pressing a function key (e.g. F2 or F4, etc.) when you first turn on your computer before Windows actually starts booting.

CAUTION: Be careful when you make any changes. Keep track of any changes you make in case you want to go back. There is usually a function in the CMOS to restore default or optimum settings, but this may not be the best setting for you.