New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Delete XPs Command Console after upgrade to Win7

I "upgraded" from XP to Windows 7. In XP I had installed the Command Console. After the upgrade, Command Console was still on the disc (no surprise) but there was also an entry in the boot menu; I could select either Win7 or the Command Console from the boot menu. When I installed Win7 that seemed "normal."

Now I've decided there is no need to leave Command Console on disc. I know I can delete the folder (c:\comcons) without any difficulty but I don't know how to get the boot entry updated/corrected!

In bcdedit (or EasyBCD or MSConfig for that matter) there is no entry for the Command Console. The boot option in the Win7 boot menu appears to be a shadow copy of what's in boot.ini (the old XP boot menu) and that file is still in the root of C:.

I could delete boot.ini from C:\ but I'm not sure how that would impact BCD and/or the boot process. Apparently BCD recognizes boot.ini and I'm not sure if simply deleting it would incur the Wrath of The Gods. I've seen those guys before and I want to keep them on their side of the River Styx.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Your counsel would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks
    Try editing the boot.ini file to eliminate the Command Console referrence, and see if the BCD store picks that up.

At any rate, it shouldn't cause any problems with the rest of the boot menu.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That worked!

I "commented out" everything in boot.ini and rebooted. The boot process bypassed the boot menu, as it should. On a second reboot I hit F8 to prove to myself everything was okay. Before the third reboot I deleted boot.ini and \cmdcons. Everything works as it should. Thank you!

I have these files in the root folder:
    bootmgr
    bootsect.bak
    cmldr
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    NTDETECT.COM
    ntldr
    I think some of these might also be "hangovers" from the XP installation.

Which of these are XP-specific and can be deleted?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    bootmgr is needed. If you delete this I believe your system will not boot. bootsect.bak is a backup for the boot sector. ntldr is the nt loader

It seems that these are all system files. I would leave them all alone. If you decide to delete any of them, prior to doing so create a complete system Image and test to make sure it works before deleting them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy