New Lounger
    Thanks

Messenger and Photoshop display Black screen

Hi Guys, after the 12+ Windows updates about 2 weeks ago, Windows Live Messenger 2011 flashes between a black solid window where you are chatting and the normal window you expect to see.

No new software installed, everything else works perfectly.

Opening Photoshop and dropping on an image shows the image and then the main PS window turns solid black. All the PS brushes and tools still work (are visible), however the picture is solid black.

I have tried updating to the latest nVidia drivers for my 9600, it made no difference.

Running Windows 7 Pro 64bit with 4GB of RAM

Suggestions?

Cheers
    Last edited by Blackspear; 2011-03-03 at 01:00. Reason: Spelling and Clarity

Thanks
    Try the system file scan utility:

Type "sfc /scannow" into an elevated command prompt or run box.
    without the quotes

To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results
    NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG. This will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in the CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    Type the above in elevated command prompt for details from the CBS.LOG.
    A reinstall of photoshop may be needed and repair install of Messenger may be required if all else fail.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT, ran SFC it didn't find anything, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

Also repaired WLM after the above and the issue remains.

I have previously uninstalled and reinstall WLM, and this did not resolve the issue.

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried swapping out the Video card, went from a Gigabyte GV-NX96T512H (Dual DVI 9600) to a brand new Gigabyte GV-N550OC-1Gl (Dual DVI GTX 550 Ti) and it made no difference. Interesting find though with Photoshop, if I drag Photoshop fully onto the screen that is running a Gigabyte 6200, the screen returns to normal, as in showing the photo as expected (no longer solid black).

So I am wondering if it has something to do with shading, or whatever else is different between the 2 video cards. The 6200 is an old PCI video card that the system boots with, the 2nd video card has 2 DVI's for using the other 2 screens (3 screens in total).

However, the issue remains with WLM 2011 using the 6200. It is like some form of rendering issue that came about after the 12+ MS Windows updates.

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was pointed to a setting in Photoshop in Edit> Preferences> Performance> OpenGL and turned this OFF and Photoshop is back to normal.

I haven't tested WLM yet, but that really is secondary for me.

Cheers