New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade win 7 32-bit to win 7 64-bit

My system is 64-bit but I originally installed Win 7 32-bit because of driver issue concerns. Is there an easy way to upgrade to 64 bit without having to use Custom Install and reinstall all applications?

Lounger
    Thanks
    No. Windows 7 must be installed from scratch to get to 64 bit from 32 bit. There are different binaries involved and they are not compatible. The only viable reason to go 64 bit is for the utilization of more memory. If you only have 4 gig in your system there is little need to convert to 64 bit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rayt435 For This Useful Post:

cgcrawford (2011-03-03)

Thanks
    Unfortunately, no. Changing bitness does require a Custom (Clean) install. Save all data to somewhere else (I chose to set up a separate partition for data) so you can put it back when done. All apps will need to be reinstalled. This will allow you to thin out apps you might not use. Be sure that all peripherals have drivers of the same bitness as the OS (64 Bit drivers for printers, etc). Sorry for the bad news. Some will say that today the advantage of 64 Bit does not justify it's installation, but 64 Bit does allow access to more RAM (32 Bit only allows access to approx. 3.5 GB +/-) I feel 64 Bit will get more and more main stream over time, even a short time frame. It is worth the change in my humble opinion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

cgcrawford (2011-03-03)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgcrawford View Post
    My system is 64-bit but I originally installed Win 7 32-bit because of driver issue concerns. Is there an easy way to upgrade to 64 bit without having to use Custom Install and reinstall all applications?
    In a word, no. You can use the transfer wizard to store your user settings on a thumb drive, but you'll have to do a clean install to 64- bit.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

cgcrawford (2011-03-03)

Thanks
    No but you might be able to use the Windows Easy Transfer utility or some other package to move installed programs and other user profile settings over to the new installation...There are no guaranties of a smooth transition even if this does work out.

A clean install will be needed in any event.

Windows Easy Transfer

Upgrade from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Windows 7 using custom install

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cgcrawford (2011-03-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Guys

It appeared to me that I needed a Custom Install but I was hoping.....
    I could not download a version of Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft that would work but it was installed when I installed Win 7 32-bit. I have a couple of 64-bit programs that would benefit from the change but I am not sure it is worth that much effort. I do like the idea of cleaning out the program bin of stuff that seemed useful at one time.

Thanks
    I could not download a version of Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft that would work but it was installed when I installed Win 7 32-bit.
    You probably still have it. I don't think there is a shortcut for it, but click Start and type "transfer wizard" (without the quotes) and see what you get.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Laplink's PC mover will allow you as pain free migration as you will ever get, in such a scenario. I used it to move apps from XP to Win7 x64 (too many programs, didn't feel like having the courage to do it). Other than a small hickup with Office 2007, it went great.
    I am considering taking my laptop from Win 7 32 to 7 64. I will definitely use Laplink - same scenario: too many programs and I don't have the patience add each one individually.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Laplink

I looked at their website and it was not clear that you could use PCMover Upgrade for Win 7 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit. There appear to be a number of packages to go from Vista or XP to either bit version of Win 7 so I would like to know how your laptop upgrade goes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    You probably still have it. I don't think there is a shortcut for it, but click Start and type "transfer wizard" (without the quotes) and see what you get.
    That is how I found it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I looked at their website and it was not clear that you could use PCMover Upgrade for Win 7 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit. There appear to be a number of packages to go from Vista or XP to either bit version of Win 7 so I would like to know how your laptop upgrade goes.
    For an in place upgrade (same PC) they recommend PC Mover upgrade assistant. That's what I will use when I make the move (not doing it immediately).