Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question XP & Win7 dual-boot

Question for the gurus.

I plan to switch to Win 7 from XP and was wondering if it was possible to set up a dual-boot system until I have everything set up and Win 7 recognizing my programs and apps. I may then delete XP from my system and stick with Win 7.

I don't want to do a clean install as I have misplaced the disks (or lost the Dl'ed version) of several apps or no longer have the serial numbers/activation codes for them.

My only other option is to upgrade my XP bu I don't know if it's possible as I plan on going from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Win 7.

Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can not directly upgrade from XP to any version of Windows 7. You can install Windows 7 in its own partition on the same drive or on a separate hard drive. The install process will automatically setup what you need for a dual boot. On your new Windows 7 installation you still must install all your applications/programs. You can't share applications/programs. If you do not have the installation media or product codes you need to contact the software vendor for help.

Not matter what you decide, be sure to do a complete backup of your current system before you start with Windows 7. That way if any major problem occurs you'll be able to go back to where you are now.

NOTE: Make sure you have Windows 7 compatible drivers for all your hardware including chipset drivers. Check for a BIOS update.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BWSman (2011-03-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be give some ideas .....
    Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

Be sure to take Joe's advice about backup/imaging.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. I forgot that you couldn't upgrade directly from XP to Win7.
    My hardware is compatible but I just need to double check my drivers. I think for most of the apps I'll be using in Win 7; I have the serial number and or disk; so I should be goo to go that way. It does seem strange that my current app won't be accessible in Win 7 with a dual boot system.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Each OS has its own registry and that is where much of the information to run an application is kept.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Win 7 x64 the other day and now I can't get my video card to work properly. I keep getting a BSoD with the following message:
    "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed."

Normally that means updating the drivers; but I already have the latest drivers installed. (can't roll back either because I've only downloaded 32bit drivers previously).

System Specs:

Acer Aspire M1100
    AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+ processor.
    6 GB DDR2 RAM
    ATI Radeon HD2400PRO w/256Mb

The only scep I'm worried about is the power supply (200W). Would this be the cause of my problems?

I've also read somewhere that disabling the digital signatures will solve my problem (i.e. press F8 on boot & select that option); but I'm not sure about this.

If my hair was longer; I'd be pulling it out.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSman View Post
    I don't want to do a clean install as I have misplaced the disks (or lost the Dl'ed version) of several apps or no longer have the serial numbers/activation codes for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSman View Post
    I think for most of the apps I'll be using in Win 7; I have the serial number and or disk.....
    It does seem strange that my current app won't be accessible in Win 7 with a dual boot system.
    Are you now setup for dual boot of XP and Win7? If yes, you can still run all your XP apps in XP. For apps that licenses/keys are misplaced, you can try to get them with ...

System Information for Windows

or

Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tfspry View Post
    Are you now setup for dual boot of XP and Win7? If yes, you can still run all your XP apps in XP. For apps that licenses/keys are misplaced, you can try to get them with ...

System Information for Windows

or

Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware,

I can't get Win 7 to boot properly; so I'm still essentially on XP. On top of that when I do get Win 7 running (via the onboard graphics card); it doesn't connect to my router. So far my experience with Win 7 is that it's more crippleware than some demo apps I've tried.

Thanks
    Did you install the 64 Bit version of Win 7 or the 32 Bit version? The ATI drivers bitness MUST match the bitness of the OS. This site shows both 32 Bit and 64 Bit drivers are available for your graphics card.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Did you install the 64 Bit version of Win 7 or the 32 Bit version? The ATI drivers bitness MUST match the bitness of the OS. This site shows both 32 Bit and 64 Bit drivers are available for your graphics card.
    I installed the 64bit version on Windows 7. I was planning on taking the advantage of on my dual core system.

Thanks
    Well how about the graphics drivers. They must match the bitness of the OS. Just checking to ensure you installed the 64 Bit graphics drivers as well. My post contained a link t the drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Well how about the graphics drivers. They must match the bitness of the OS. Just checking to ensure you installed the 64 Bit graphics drivers as well. My post contained a link t the drivers.
    Yes; I installed the 64bit drivers. I can't even get my system to boot using the M$ generic standard VGA driver with the card.

I'll try running under safe mode and uninstalling the ATI drivers; reboot & see what happens.

MY next option will be installing a larger PSU; although everything is running fine under XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Upate: I can boot into Windows 7 using the Standard VGA driver from M$. I cannot boot using the ATI or M$ specific drivers for my video card.

Will check to see if ATI has oder drivers I can try.

Thanks
    Graphics drivers seem to cause more problems than any other driver. This has been the case even prior to Win 7. The old adage was if you were happen with the operation of your graphics card, "leave well enough alone"! I have the ATI Radeon Mobility 4650 graphics card and seem to have had success, this card works well. It does appear your card has updated drivers, but the latest drivers are not necessarily the best.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried rolling back to a driver released last October; but no such luck. Still get the BSoD on start up. I can't even get my onboard graphics to run under it's native driver (and it is a Vista64 driver). I'll try rolling back farther with my video card and hope I find one that works.

Question; will memory issues cause this? I bought 2 2Gb memory sticks in anticipation of being able to use more memory. There don't seem to be memory issues when I managed to run W7 under the standard VGA driver; but...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast