Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win7 SP1 problem with desktop/icons

Yesterday I installed SP1 after disabling Security Essentials. The install appeared to go ok, but on reboot the desktop icons, Start Menu, and Taskbar icons have disappeared. The text description on desktop icons remains, and the taskbar "placeholders" are still there, so I can load those apps as I know where they were, but the Start Menu is no longer available. Not sure how to resolve this as I also cannot access Backup and Restore (it gives an internal error message - not enough storage to complete this operation. I do have a full image backup, now over a month old, so that would be last resort, but before I go that far does anyone know what I can try to resolve this?
    thanks in advance

rdl

Thanks
    I would uninstall SP1, create a full system Image, then work on a solution. Perhaps an app such as faviconizer would help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could possibly try this in Safe mode with command prompt if you are unable in normal mode,

To Manually Rebuild the Icon Cache using the Command Prompt

lose and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.

Open the Start Menu, and type cmd in the search box and press enter.

In the command prompt, Copy and Paste each command line below exactly as is and press enter after each command.

WARNING: The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.

Code:
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    shutdown /r

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, JDB

I can't uninstall as Backup/Restore seems to be disabled, or at least not accessible now. I tried rebuilding the icon cache but that hasn't made any difference. Guess it's a full restore from backup, or I may just rebuild the whole OS and start again. Fortunately this is a second machine I'm using to test Win7 before switching my main system from XP, so no major tears. Maybe I'll give SP1 a complete miss...

thanks for your help anyway, guys

rdl

Thanks
    Access your imaged backup and do a restore via the boot disk or booting from the Windows 7 DVD.