Star Lounger
    Thanks

Character value output from report ('97 sr1)

My report fields are not outputting the ascii value of the characters. I need this value to be the true ascii value to convert output string to a hex value. If I output the query to a text file, copy the string into a hex editor, I get the true hex values. If I output the report to a text file, when I copy the string into a hex editor, some values are different. I cannot output the data from the query, I must use the report to output to text. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Character value output from report ('97 sr1)

I'm not sure I totally understand your situation, but I would start by selecting a generic printer and a non-TrueType font.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, I have been using the Generic Text printer option. I have a string of code inside a data stream that commands a printer to print a USPS barcode. The printer font set maps a hex character to the bar set. I have just foud that ( after exporting the MS Access report to a text file) the values hold true if the text file is opened in WORDPAD, but the values do not hold if the text file opens in NOTEPAD. Like I need another mystery with this job....Any ideas are greatly appreciated...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That is strange, I would have expected Notepad to be better, although I don't really know why they would react differently from each other!
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

WordPad is essentially Word 6.0, and it's apparently interpreting the characters for you, while NotePad just takes whatever it's sent. The fact that you can export from a query to a textfile and get the right values suggests that the issue is with using a report, since it contains formatting and rtf stuff that doesn't exist in the query.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, that brings up another issue. If I cannot output to text from a report, I should output the query, right? Wrong. Upon trying to export the query, the export wizard errors "Not enough paramaters. 1 expected" (or 2 expected). Any thoughts on this and how to get around it? Thanks..........

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I thought you said you *could* export the query. Post the SQL for the query so we can see what it might be looking for. If you're reading values from a form as part of the criteria, that may be where the problem is arising.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This probably won't help your situation, but we simply use a True Type Bar Code Font and print Bar Codes on forms which we subsequently receive back and scan. This avoids all the nonsense with trying to talk to the printer from an application through a report.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell, but I am not printing the barcode, just the characters that map to the printer font set. Charlotte, the actual query I need to output is the one giving me the 'parameters' message, and the SQL would not be of much help without knowing the applications involved. I built a quick and clean little query and output that without problem.Thanks to all for your help. I am on to something now that I hope will resolve this issue. I will post the results asap.