3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Unable to install Windows 7 SP1

Upon recently noticing Windows 7 SP1 in Windows Update, I downloaded and installed it without difficulty into our two Dell Studio XPS desktops. If it matters, they are virtual clones of each other, each running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from 64-bit Vista Home Premium), and as of this moment both appear to be working quite uneventfully with SP1. I then followed the same steps trying to install SP1 to a Dell Inspiron laptop running 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, and that's when my problems started. :-(

The laptop appears to have downloaded it (KB976932), and even indicated it was installing it when I got an indication that it failed. The dialog stated "Error: 0x800f0805," and suggested that I try it again, but to first shut off my security software. I disabled McAfee Total Protection, both the AV as well as firewall (note: both remained fully activated during the successful installation on the 2 desktop machines), then tried to install SP1 again but once again it failed. After mumbling some words in frustration I prefer not repeating here, I then reverted System Restore back to the point immediately prior to my initial downloading and that is where I will remain with the laptop at least for the immediate future. Obviously, I will need to install SP1 at some point, but not until I can find out more about it.

After a day of reading a lot of online reports on the subject, much of which I do not understand (I'm an old (68) geezer, and self-taught user who in no way professes to be anything but a non-professional and borderline intermediate user), I am now more confused at what I am dealing with than before. Much of what I am reading I cannot understand, with a fair amount of the "experts" actually conflicting with each other, and I ended up with Clint's post right here suggesting that we wait a few months, although I am not very clear on the reason for waiting. Clint has bailed me out here before, so considering the puzzling and contradictory things I've read about this, I am going to do just that and see if I can figure out where to go from here.

If Clint or anyone else reading this has any suggestions on how to successfully download and install SP1, I welcome hearing from you. I am going back and reread it, but I read one piece that suggested either downloading and saving SP1 to HD (yes, I know it is HUGE) or else getting it on DVD (from where?), and then installing it that way with everything else disabled at the time. One piece I read actually suggested total removal of AV software, so I clearly have some homework to do before I try to install it again. In the meantime, I am going into "observation mode" for awhile and am open to any advice from the resident experts here.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Error: 0x800f0805 indicates "The package is not valid. You can only install packages provided to you by Microsoft" Sounds like either you got a bad download or the wrong version. How did you download it? Did you use windows update?

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

As noted in my original query, that was downloaded directly from Windows Update following the standard prompts therein.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    On your Inspiron, create a new folder on your C: drive (Start > Computer, then double-click drive C: in the right pane, select "New folder" in the toolbar, name the new folder SP-1, then close Windows Explorer).

Download Service Pack 1 from here, choosing "windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe" after validation. Save the download to the new "SP-1" folder you created. After the download is complete (the 32-bit file is under 600MB) close your browser, disable your anti-virus software, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the SP-1 folder. Right-click the file and select "Run as Administrator".
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-03-04 at 14:16. Reason: spelling
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    On your Inspiron, create a new folder on your C: drive (Start > Computer, then double-click drive C: in the right pane, select "New folder" in the toolbar, name the new folder SP-1, then close Windows Explorer).

Download Service Pack 1 from here, choosing "windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe" after validation. Save the download to the new "SP-1" folder you created. After the download is complete (the 32-bit file is under 600MB) close your browser, disable your anti-virus software, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the SP-1 folder. Right-click the file and select "Run as Administrator".
    bbearren,

As I write this, the download is saving to HD per your directions, but before I begin trying to install it please clarify a couple of things for me if you will:

1. You say to disable my AV software, but do you mean just that or to actually REMOVE IT as suggested in some of the writings I've read have suggested. Truthfully, I really prefer not removing it because of the hassle of reinstalling it and setting it up, but I will do it if it is really necessary.

2. I use McAfee Total Protection, which comes combined with a firewall as well, so are you saying I should disable or remove that as well?

If you will clarify those two questions for me, I will begin my THIRD attempt at installing it upon receipt of your response.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Just disable the AV and the firewall to the fullest extent they will allow. I would disconnect from the internet beforehand, though. If your Inspiron connects wirelessly, use the wireless utility to turn of the radio. If you connect through ethernet, just unplug the cable.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

decann (2011-03-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Just disable the AV and the firewall to the fullest extent they will allow. I would disconnect from the internet beforehand, though. If your Inspiron connects wirelessly, use the wireless utility to turn of the radio. If you connect through ethernet, just unplug the cable.
    bbearren,

SUCCESS! I followed your directions to the letter, and THIS time it downloaded and installed without problem. . . .with the AV and firewall software disabled (not removed) and the radio switch in off position effectively disconnecting me from the Internet. I'm still not quite sure what the reason was for all that, but suddenly it now doesn't matter too much. SP 1 is installed, and I owe you a big thanks for your help.

David E. Cann

Thanks

Congratulations

I'm glad it worked for you. I've found that method to be fairly well bulletproof for larger updates.

Unleash Windows