3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Disable sound cards remotely

Hi everyone. Is there a way to disable a sound card remotely? I tried doing it through Computer Management and I couldn't because it doesn't allow disabling things remotely (it told me it was in read-only mode because I was accessing a remote machine). I have a few Windows XP SP3 PC's that need their sound cards disabled. They're all on a Windows domain network and I am a domain admin so I'm not worried about permissions. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Try going through device manager:
    devmgmt.msc
    You can also disable it's asociated service via:
    services.msc

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not just ask your users to use headphones if the speakers are annoying others.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This post seems to have a solution. Let us know if it works for you.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT, I don't think that's going to work remotely. Can you explain how you'd recommend I use device manager remotely to accomplish this?

DavidPierson, headphones aren't going to work, either. These PC's and employee's are at a ticket stand where patrons come in and walk up to the stands and purchase tickets. The employee's aren't allowed to wear headphones in this environment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by telecomguy9 View Post
    CLiNT, I don't think that's going to work remotely. Can you explain how you'd recommend I use device manager remotely to accomplish this?

DavidPierson, headphones aren't going to work, either. These PC's and employee's are at a ticket stand where patrons come in and walk up to the stands and purchase tickets. The employee's aren't allowed to wear headphones in this environment.
    I was under the asumption that you are using some form of remote client, other that just network access??
    Otherwise your looking at changing network access temporarily from read only to read+write.

Even if this were possible there is nothing to stop people from re-enabling their sound cards anyway.
    You would have to have total control over their PCs and they would have to have limited/restricted their access to system areas.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know of no reason remote control would prevent you from changing system settings. What method of remote control are you using? VNC? or some other tool? Are you trying to remote control the user's desktop, or an administrative desktop? I suspect that you are remote controlling the user's desktop, in which case they more than likely do not have administrative rights to make the change, which is why you cannot change it. Which really is a good thing because once you change the settings, they can't revert it back.

On your machine, right click on My Computer, select Manage. This is just an MMC snap in that allows you to mange any computer on the domain. It opens to the local computer by default. In the upper left you will see "Computer Management (Local)". Right click on it and select "Connect to another computer". Enter the PC's name or IP Address. Depending on the speed of your WAN it can take a few seconds or a few minutes. You'll have access to the Device Manager, local users and groups, the Event Viewer, Services, really everything you need to troubleshoot and manage the machine remotely. Expand System Tools and make the changes as you see fit.

I would encourage you to enable "Remote Desktop" on the PCs you support. Then you can connect to the PC's desktop with an RDP connection as an administrator and do anything you need to. The only drawback to this is that is not a remote control tool, it locks the user's desktop when you connect. It does however give you a full desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post

Even if this were possible there is nothing to stop people from re-enabling their sound cards anyway.
    You would have to have total control over their PCs and they would have to have limited/restricted their access to system areas.
    As the OP said, these are on a Windows domain, so its not only possible, its very easy to manage remotely. And so long as the users have not been given local admin rights, they cannot change the settings back. But we don't yet know enough about how his domain is setup to be able to give a definitive answer.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-03-07 at 16:57.
    Chuck