Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Regedit problems

I've been a computer admin for 20yrs. I've been using win7 for over a year. I've been trying to delete magic jack entries in the registry but am unable to. Permision denied. I've tried taking ownership of the reg entries - permision denied. I've had this prob with other reg entries. And, yes, I'm logged in the system admin.
    What's going on with the reg that I cannot delete entries?

Thanks
    When you bring up regedit (I'm assuming you're typing it into the search bar and then clicking on the executable when it appears up top), right-click and select "Run as administrator". I know you're logged in as a member of the Administrators Group, but try it, and see if you can now take ownership of the registry keys.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'll second bbearen's recommendation. Remember that from Vista & Server 2008 forward just because you are a member of the local Administrator Group does not mean you have the same admin capabilities as you would've seen in XP or Server 2003. Particularly with "system" type programs "Run as Administrator" is always a good option.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Didn't work. I do not like the fact that I cannot delete registry entries.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Can you take ownership of any registry entries?

Can you take ownership of any files?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, some entries & files, but not the ones I want access to.
    Look, I want total access to ANYTHING on my pc. How do I achieve that in win7?

Thanks
    Are there any other users logged on, as in "Switch user"?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks

NO

No....................................

Thanks
    Try enabling the default Administrator account, logon that account and then use the precedure in post #2.

Also, have you tried taking ownership of the parent of the registry key you're trying to delete?

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, denied

Thanks
    Has the application been removed properly in the first place?

Thanks
    Logged onto the default Administrator account, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator". In the command window, enter "regedit.exe" without the quotes.

When the registry editor opens, try taking ownership of the keys in question.

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That did not work either.
    What I want to know is... why an admin cannot delete a key from the reg. I've never had the problem before. How can a key be so protected that an admin cannot delete it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyama View Post
    I've been a computer admin for 20yrs. I've been using win7 for over a year. I've been trying to delete magic jack entries in the registry but am unable to. Permision denied. I've tried taking ownership of the reg entries - permision denied. I've had this prob with other reg entries. And, yes, I'm logged in the system admin.
    What's going on with the reg that I cannot delete entries?
    Is this any help?
    For WinXP: (this is from a tech chat session transcript)
    Ivan: Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to [Start] in Windows and click on [Run...]. In there write "regedit" and press enter.
    Ivan: Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
    Ivan: Click on + sign next to SYSTEM
    Ivan: Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet
    Ivan: Click on + sign next to Enum
    Ivan: Now find folder called USB. Right click on that and click on "Permissions". In permissions click on the check mark called "Allow" to the right of "Full Control".
    Ivan: Click Ok. Ivan: Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called "Vid1307", right click on one at a time and select delete.
    Ivan: Now click on - Sign next to USB.
    Ivan: Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.
    Ivan: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.
    Ivan: Find the folders called "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
    Ivan: and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
    Ivan: Right click on those one at a time and delete them.
    Ivan: Now exit Regedit and then plug your magicJack in

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanyama View Post
    That did not work either.
    What I want to know is... why an admin cannot delete a key from the reg. I've never had the problem before. How can a key be so protected that an admin cannot delete it?
    I can't answer that question; I haven't come across any that I can't eventually take ownership.

I found this tool. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it may have some promise for your situation.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast