New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel (Office XP, Win7) crashing on startupafter SP1 install

Excel starts, shows a normal blank sheet, then immediately pops up the following message, then terminates as soon as I click OK on the message window.
    --------------------
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Programs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE
    abnormal program termination
    ----------------------
    This is in Windows 7 x64. Other Office XP programs run normally. I've been using Excel in this same computer setup for over a year without problem until now. I had installed SP1 a few days ago and thought this might be the problem, but I've now used System Restore to revert back to the pre-SP1 setup. Still the same problem. I reinstalled Office XP. Still the same problem. I have lots of memory, lots of disk space, and have no reported disk or RAM errors.

What's the next step in trying to fix this?

Thanks
    Do you have an up to date drive image to fall back on rather than a system restore point, that is most recently pre SP-1?

1 Fall back to an imaged, restored, pre SP-1 state & wait until there is more information regarding your specific office Excel issue. There is little need to have SP-1 installed at this time and there are alot of potential issues that have yet to be discovered and worked out.

2 Attempt to remove/uninstall Service Pack 1, as it is not necessary to install right away. I wish you hadn't done system restore, it is one of the biggest fudge factors around and may now complicate the removal of SP-1. But it still might be worth a try.
    Make a disk image first.

3 Complete removal of the office suit with a potent 3rd party tool and or a detailed
    manual removal method that goes behond the typical control panel uninstall method.
    You could then attempt reinstall with or without Service Pack 1 in place.

4 No solution yet, as Service Pack 1 may have fudged your Office 10 XP installation and may not be compatible anymore with at least some of the office components.

You may consider updating your office suit to be fully Windows 7 compliant and not just Windows 7 usable.

Total format and reinstall of the operating system, minus the SP-1 installation as your last resort.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

DavidD (2011-03-05)

Thanks
    This is the ideal situation for Imaging. Everyone recommends creating an Up To Date Image prior to installing any new app or large upgrade. System Restore will not convert your entire OS back to the pre SP1. As Clint mentioned, a SP1 uninstall may have problems as well because System Restore changes many of the SP1 files. In theory, installation of SP1 will elliminate previous System Restore points.

Without a complete Image, you may be back to a complete reinstall. In this case I would install Windows, then download and install the complete SP1 file. Then install your AV and Office product and other apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

DavidD (2011-03-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FIXED! Thanks to both responders for good educational advice that will help me avoid or fix a broad class of future problems. As it turns out, CLiNT's solution #3 would probably have fixed my specific problem with minimal pain. However, I got a more focused solution to my specific problem as a response to asking this same question in the Spreadsheets subforum - deleting one specific Excel .xlb configuration file. That cured the problem entirely. Thanks again! I haven't tried re-installing SP1 yet - but will certain save an image before I do!
    Last edited by DavidD; 2011-03-05 at 12:58. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Glad it worked out, the Office forum folks know best.