Lounger
    Thanks

cloning HD to SSD

I bought a 90 gig SSD because it was a great deal and I thought it would be interesting to clone my Win 7 OS to it just to see if they were as great as many folks said they were.
    I cut my C drive down to around 50 gig and changed the partition size to less than 90 gig so it would fit on the SSD. I haven't been able to find software that will clone the 100 mb reserved partition and the C partition to the SSD, with the result being a bootable SSD drive. Windows system image won't work because it wants to image the whole system, which has about 600 gigs that I moved to the D drive.
    Whats is out there that will do this? If I have to boot Linux from a CD to do this, I will need exact specific instructions as I don't talk Linux.

Thanks
    You may need a 3rd party app like Acronic or something. If you donot do drive encryption you can safely remove that 100 MB partition prior to cloning. But I would not rely on the Windows System imaging tool to effect a clone. It is a simple backup and restore utility, nothing more.

free drive cloning tools
    best paid for drive cloning tools

Others can provide info on specific use.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-03-05 at 01:37.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgwx View Post
    I bought a 90 gig SSD because it was a great deal and I thought it would be interesting to clone my Win 7 OS to it just to see if they were as great as many folks said they were.
    I cut my C drive down to around 50 gig and changed the partition size to less than 90 gig so it would fit on the SSD. I haven't been able to find software that will clone the 100 mb reserved partition and the C partition to the SSD, with the result being a bootable SSD drive. Windows system image won't work because it wants to image the whole system, which has about 600 gigs that I moved to the D drive.
    Whats is out there that will do this? If I have to boot Linux from a CD to do this, I will need exact specific instructions as I don't talk Linux.
    I have done exactly that using win 7 image with no problems at all. Once you have got the patrtition small enough to fit new hard drive do an image backup which will only backup the reserve partition and the 'C' drive. then put in new drive and using the win 7 CD go to repair and choose restore from know backup. Worked fine for me a good many times.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    If you donot do drive encryption you can safely remove that 100 MB partition prior to cloning.
    This was the solution to the problem. The cloning tools I tried could not do two partitions. As soon as I ignored the 100 mb partition and just cloned the other partition it worked fine.
    Thanks Clint