Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Access 98 to 2007 ?

Hello.

I have a friend who would like to move an Access folder from 98 to 2007 as they do not show up as wished. Is there an app that would translate the data from one to the other ?

I am not too savvy as I never used Access but my friend would like to know.

Thanks. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Jean,

Hmmm... some info there is not very clear. Your friend wants to convert a database, is that it? I would presume she has Access 97 (AFAIK there was an Access 97 and after that it was Access 2000, then 2002, 2003, 2007 and now 2010.

Access 2007 should convert the file to the 2007 format, when asked to. She should give it a new name, thus enabling her to keep the original file and the new one. The data should convert fine, but I would presume she also has some functionality and the conversion may affect that. If she does keep both versions, though, she will be fine.

I must say I didn't understand your reference to a "folder" and them not showing up as wished. Maybe you want to make that clearer.

Regards

Rui
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-03-05 at 13:56.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Rui. I find you all over these conferences. Good.

You are right, I meant database and it is in a folder, no ? Now that we have this cleared up, the database does not open up as it was done in Access 98, the format is different, I mean the way that the "forms" were done. Yes, it was done in 98 and now we have progressed to W-7 and installed Office 97, all of it. Is there a definite way to ask the database to be opened in A-07, is there a hurdle to jump ? I have not seen the "forms", I will try and get one to post here.

Where did you pick up this "she" business ?

Have a great day. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

I re-read your post and seemes the "she" was a wrong inference, sorry. I can still open database applications developed with Access 2000 on Access 2010, so I think you should be able to open the Access 97 app without any issues. Since Access 2007, however, Access won't automatically load macros from databases located in "non-safe" locations. Instead, when you open such a database, a yellow bar appears near the top of the window, offering to enable it if you click a button. Are you sure that is not what's happening here?

Also, can you clarify the version issue - there was never an Access 98 version.

Regards

Rui
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-03-05 at 14:01.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, thanks for trying to help. This is the message that I got from her, yes, her !

>>> I had copied from my PC Windows 98 the Access Databank of my father’s input, is not virus affected as I feared.
    It seems however that I will not be able to read these data, based on Windows 98, in my HP PC with Windows 2007?

I do not know what database version she was using, I will get it clarifed and get back to you. Have a great day. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

Yes, what really matters here is the database version. It would also help to know what she is really experiencing when using it on Access 2007.

Regards

Rui

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, hello.

I just got a message from my friend and she says that she got it all working now. Thanks for the moral support, as always. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great .

Regards

Rui