Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    It has always asked me. I looked in the options and did not see a setting to ask or not, just a button to compact now. I don't use Live Mail. I DO use a program called Outlook Express Quick Backup, which makes a copy of all the folders in the directory of your choosing. It's quick and easy, one button backup and restore. I use it every time I get mail I want to be sure to keep, and when OE asks me if I want to compact the database, I say no, run the backup program and than let it compact. The backup program saved me twice when OE files got corrupted during UNINTERRUPTED compacting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes you are correct. I spent some time troubleshooting this issue for a friend, and found Microsoft Tech area article about this known issue of files being permanently deleted when OE compacted ‘on the fly' (whilst exiting the program) .
    If you must use this outdated and now unsupported mail utility, you should turn off mail box compacting.
    Better still choose another of the excellent mail utilities that is supported and updated whenever a bug like this appears.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When did they stop supporting OE?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregandrene View Post
    When did they stop supporting OE?
    With the release of XP SP3 on April 23, 2008, the service pack gets mainstream support for 5 years and extended support for an additonal 5 years after mainstream support. Since OE is part of XP, you could expect security fixes for the duration of support for XP SP3. However, I would not expect any other fixes even though theorectically a non-security patch could be released during the mainstream support period. You certainly will NOT see any new features for OE. See Support Lifecycle Policy.

Besides, Microsoft want you to use Windows Live Essentials for XP.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Hi all,
    I have a similar (but not same) problem.
    I never compacted the messages. The Inbox folder became empty when I double-clicked to last received message for read it.
    The file Inbox.dbx has the size 216 MB, but both OE 6 and Windows Live Mail (I just installed) don't show any message.
    The OE-Mail Recovery utility easily found in this file 1275 messages and saved all them in a separate folder.
    Both mail programs can not import any message from this folder.
    Each message from this folder can be opened (and correctly read) in both OE 6 and Live Mail, but can not be saved: "Cannot save this message. An error has occurred."
    How to restore the corrupted file Inbox.dbx?
    Thanks.
    Valerik
    Last edited by Valerik; 2014-01-13 at 13:01.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12