2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Outlook Express Not Opening PPS Attached Files

I do not have a need to install MS PowerPoint, but I occasionally get PPS files as attachments in my Outlook Express emails that I would like to open. However, I always get an error condition that says: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Options control panel. Short
    version: I mucked around and downloaded MS's PowerPoint Viewer software and stored it in my C:\Programs Files folder. I still could not open PPS files directly in OE. Short version: I found that if I copied the PPS files over to My Documents folder, I only needed to double click one to open it.
    I looked at the File Types dialog in Control Panel|Folder Options, but could not see how one creates a proper association.
    How can I open these PPS files directly in Outlook Express?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you install the PowerPoint viewer it should register itself to be the default program for PPS files. Did you actually run the installer?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe I did. As I said, I can view pps files if I save a copy outside OE. I just can't open them directly in OE. I am completly ignorant about PowerPoint beyond a general description of what it does. In the File Types list, PPS shows up as Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show. I do see a listed item named, I believe, Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer, in the pop up that allows you to pick an item the will open a file type it does not recognize from the files extension name. I tried to enter either a new item into the File Types list, or to change the existing PPS item from Slide Show to Viewer, but could not follow MS's help screen instructions (what else is new). They seem to write all those things for a different OS and screen setups that exist in your current OS. I guess I can delete the current copy of the viewer progran and re-download a fresh copy and pay attention to what I do when it is ready to be 'installed'.
    Dell Dimension E310 DV051, Pentium 4, 2.80GHz, Memory 512MB, XP SP3 MCE/Pro
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe what may be needed is what the original error message says: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Options control panel. I tried to work with the file types list (Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types tab>Registered file types list items), but can't seem to get it to change the Files Type name associated with the PPS extension item in the Registered file types list. If someone could walk me through the change process where a working "association" can be created, then there should not be a reason why pps files could not be opened directly in OE.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See the attachement. Yours should look the same except the "Application used" & Application should point to the PowerPoint Viewer instead of PowerPoint.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, since receiving your last post I went back to the Folder Options dialog, scrolled down to PPS, then clicked on the Advanced button and that opened the Edit File Type dialog. I highlighted Show and got the Editing action for... dialog. Fine, now what do I do with these screens to change over PPS from Slide Show to Viewer?

One more question, how does one close your attachment in the above post?
    Dell Dimension E310 DV051, Pentium 4, 2.80GHz, Memory 512MB, XP SP3 MCE/Pro
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    A little more exploration. PPS is a blocked file type. That means you need to save the attachment before attempting to view the file. See You receive an error message when you try to open a file type that was blocked by your registry policy settings in PowerPoint 2007 or in PowerPoint 2003 for more information.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I took a quick look at the KB thing but unless what I need to see is not readily seen, I need to say that is not what I am seeing when I try to OPEN (view) a pps attachment that is sent to me in an e-mail.
    I looked a little closer at your post with the attached screen shots, and went back to my dialog screens and tried to type in what I thought was what was needed to change over the Slide Show application to the Viewer application. I searched out the exact path to where my copy of the Viewer exe file is, and entered that into the "Application used...." box, and then I entered the Viewer's file name less the .exe portion into the "Application" box, then clicked OK. I checked and double checked spelling, spacing, punctuation, to no avail - I keep getting an error condition: The specified program could not be found. Make sure the file name and path are correct.
    I think I can live with copying e-mail attached pps files, and viewing them outside of OE.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The KB article means that by default you can't open a PPS file. You must save it somewhere first.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

flavet (2011-03-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for clearing that up. I guess there is no easy 1-2-3 answer to being able to open a PPS file directly in OE. (I just a few minutes ago found the PP forum and found similar problems/solutions there). So, I give up, and will just copy the pps attachments outside of OE and be satisfied I can even view them there.