Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry System icons are turned off

There are four system icons in the notification area of the task bar. Of these, only 'Clock' is turned on. 'Volume', 'network', and 'power' are grayed out, permanently inaccessible. I have always had these turned on.

I don't recall when these went bye-bye but it's a recent event. I could reset to an earlier time to skip a few weekly updates but I'd like to know how these got turned off and what I can do to turn them on. Somehow, a switch in the bowels of the beast got thrown. Where is it?

I also note that my volume mixer has morphed into something entirely new that shows a master volume slider and volume sliders that are application-specific. Was this some helpful update from the wonder kids at Miscroswift?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-03-06 at 23:08.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For Win 7 and XP Pro ...
    Not sure about Vista

Try right click on the Clock>Properties> then for your choices, turn on or off as desired.

Thanks
    The items that are "grayed out" should be accessed from the control panel to verify their integrity.

sfc /scannow
    Remove Old Notification Icons In Windows 7

1 Try using the "Restore default icon behaviors", and toggle between "Turn system icons on or off" in the main "Notification Area Icons" section.
    2 Uncheck each icon's taskbar view in it's control panel location, then use the above
    " Remove Old Noticication Icons in Windows 7".
    3 Use the system file checker to scan for and replace potentially corrupted system files.

New Lounger
    Thanks

System icon disabled (volume, network icon)

Few days ago, my power, network, and volume icons disappeared from the tray area of Windows 7.

system-icons.png

When I chose “Customize notification icons” and then “Turn system icons on or off”, the choices were grayed out like the image to the left.

I tried the Group Policy and registry solutions that I found online, but with no success.

Here’s how I finally fixed it:

Click here full solution

Thanks

Rezba

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rezbait For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-11-16),Medico (2011-11-16)

Thanks
    Rezba, first, welcome to the Lounge.

Nice find. This might very well help someone else having a similar problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna View Post
    There are four system icons in the notification area of the task bar. Of these, only 'Clock' is turned on. 'Volume', 'network', and 'power' are grayed out, permanently inaccessible. I have always had these turned on.

I don't recall when these went bye-bye but it's a recent event. I could reset to an earlier time to skip a few weekly updates but I'd like to know how these got turned off and what I can do to turn them on. Somehow, a switch in the bowels of the beast got thrown. Where is it?

I also note that my volume mixer has morphed into something entirely new that shows a master volume slider and volume sliders that are application-specific. Was this some helpful update from the wonder kids at Miscroswift?

Hi

I faced simlar problem and I fixed it.

Please Click here for solution.

Thanks

Rezba
    Last edited by rezbait; 2011-11-16 at 22:28.