Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail privacy issues?

I'm looking for a computer based mail program for Win7.I have been using eMclient,but the calendar search function went away with the latest version.It is also pretty much impossible to get any help or support with the free version.Until Win7,I always used Outlook Express,so I decided to try Windows Live Mail,but I remember reading about privacy issues with Windows Live accounts.
    Privacy is very important to me.Does anyone have privacy issues with Windows Live accounts?

Thanks
    Hi Rothie, Welcome to the Lounge.
    I don't have any issues with Windows Live accounts, I don't use them. I do use Windows Live Mail version 2009 but only with my Gmail account.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    You don't need to have an actual Live Mail account in order to use the email client Windows Live Mail.

Thanks
    I believe that any email account could and will on ocassion have privacy concerns. Read this Wlkipedia story about Gmail as an example (Scroll down for criticism). As Clint states WLM is an email client and can be used with your favorite email account, even without a Live ID. I use WLM with my Time Warner Road Runner email very successfully. I also have a hotmail account (yes I know this requires a Live ID) set up. I check both emails at the same time. I used to have a Gmail account, but did not like the Gmail interface on my WLM account. Plus I did read several articles on the lack of security at Gmail hence dropped it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.It's the Live ID that I am trying to avoid.I think I was reading one of Woody's articles a few months ago that described privacy issues with Windows Live accounts.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See post #3. It is correct. You do not need a Windows Live account to use WLM.

Joe

Thanks
    If you don't have a live ID when using WLM, email addresses have to be added manually. Thats why I have a live ID but only use Gmail as my secondary account.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't mind adding contacts manually as long as I can import my existing contacts and calendar from eMclient.
    Will I be able to send pictures from my desktop without them having to be accessed by the recipients from some online account?

Thanks
    Yes you can. In fact WLM adds various ways to send pics. You can add various framess, slide shows, etc. My wife is constantly doing cute things with it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothie View Post
    I'm looking for a computer based mail program for Win7.I have been using eMclient,but the calendar search function went away with the latest version.It is also pretty much impossible to get any help or support with the free version.Until Win7,I always used Outlook Express,so I decided to try Windows Live Mail,but I remember reading about privacy issues with Windows Live accounts.
    Privacy is very important to me.Does anyone have privacy issues with Windows Live accounts?
    I just got a laptop with Win7 and was not at all happy that I couldn't download & use Windows Mail (like I've been using on my Vista desktop). I *really* don't want to trust my personal email (from 1997!) to a server on some cloud somewhere. I haven't read any discussions on what email client would be good. Seems like the standard ones (like Thunderbird) have issues. I haven't had much in the way of issues with Windows Mail (or OE, for that matter) and I don't know what to do about it. Has anyone used Outlook? Or does that have worse issues?

Connie in MI

Thanks
    Hi Connie, if you want Windows Mail, read this tutorial from Windows Seven Forums.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Hi Connie,
    I just got a laptop with Win7 and was not at all happy that I couldn't download & use Windows Mail
    You can download and install Windows Live Mail. http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?
    The download is actually a small web download ,that when run, will download the full program.It may also include parts of Live Essentials and in this case you select Windows Live Mail from the list.
    I *really* don't want to trust my personal email (from 1997!) to a server on some cloud somewhere.
    It may be that you have the wrong impression about "the cloud"
    This buzzword is thrown around as something dangerous, but all it means is that
    files or programs (web apps) are stored on a server.

If you use email ,whether via webmail or an email client ,your email is stored (initially at least) on a server, so it's "in the cloud" and this has been like that since the day email was used.

The fact is ,that with Windows Live Mail you can have all your mail on your computer.Once the mail has been downloaded ,you don't even need an internet connection to read it.
    Your contacts are stored locally as well , unless you opt to use the web service part for sync'ing your contacts list with other devices ,like cellphones,laptops and netbooks PDA's etc.

Depending which protocol you use ,POP3 or IMAP ,your mail can either stay on the mail server or you can delete it.The copy on your computer will stay and you can archive it using eg MailStore Home.
    http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

If you don't use Live Hotmail ,you don't even have to sign in to the web part of WLM.

I'm not promoting it ,just saying that you may want to give it a try.

As to your other questions: All email ,whether webmail or clients, has its problems.
    It all depends what you can live with
    As to Outlook , unless you're in an office environment, I consider it overkill for general email.
    Besides , it not free and in my view relatively expensive.

Pete.
    Last edited by DiggerP; 2011-03-13 at 14:49. Reason: Additional Info