Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis 2011 issues

New_System.jpgThis is copied over from a thread in the Windows 7 section where I was dealing with the issue of moving my op system to my SATA drive, and putting my swap partition and backup partition on the original PATA drive that came with my Dell 4600:
    "
    Well my Acronis saga continues. I made a Rescue CD. I can boot from it; and, of the 3 choices offered from the Acronis menu, I can boot into my existing Windows 7 op system. However, if I choose behind door number 1, and try to recover from an image, it wont let me restore my C:\ image to C:\

On my setup pictured above it wants to let me restore to my swap partition (which is only 4GB), or to my data partition (why would I want to wipe out my data?)"

So, bottom line, neither a "regular" rescue CD nor a WinPE/Acronis rescue CD work for me the way they are supposed to.

I'd appreciate any suggestions,
    Dick

Thanks
    Hi Dick, do you have extra storage hdd's to backup Disk 0 + Disk 1 (separately) if so, do it then use Acronis Drive Cleanser to wipe them, then restore them, doing the one with the MBR first.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Since I do not have 2 HD's, I cannot discuss your problem directly. My set up is one HD with 2 partitions, C Drive with OS and all apps, and D Drive with all data including any folders I was allowed to move from the C Drive.

When I restore from the Acronis ATI 2011 Rescue Disk (I do not have an original Acronis disk because I downloaded the file when I purchased Acronis), I boot to the Acronis Boot area from the main menu. Acronis then asks where to get my Image (I use an ext USB HD to store my Images) and which partition I wish to restore. The next screen asks me what partition I wish to restore to. When I create Images, I include both C and D Drives, but during restoration I can only restore one or the other at a time. If I chose my C Drive during the first step, I choose the C partition for restoration, and if I wish to restore the D Drive I have to choose that drive. I can actually restore to either C or D but choose obviously to restore to the partition that I have chosen to restore. I hope this is clear enough. I understand it but others may not, sorry.

What happens in your case if you were to physically remove the Disk 1 while attempting to restore a partition in Disk 0? I would assume you have tried this at some point in time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner:
    I'll have to sleep on that suggestion. With my Acronis issues I've been having I feel a little chicken right now to
    try that. Out of curiousity, what would wiping them accomplish as far as recovering?
    best,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted:
    Unfortunately, I know a lot about software and almost nothing about hardware. For hardware things, like having my 2nd drive added, I
    bring my machine to a computer shop. I've always been afraid to monkey around with hardware, thinking that what little hair I have left
    would wind up standing on ends.
    Thanks for the suggestion though,
    Dick

Thanks
    Dick, Disconnecting the hardware would be easy. What I would do while the PC is powered off and unplugged, just to see if it works, would be to open the case, find the old hard drive and just remove the ribbon cable (connects to the MB) from the HD and remove the PS cable (4 wire cable). Insert your Acronis disk, repower and see if the restore works the way you want it to. Is so great, if not simply plug the cables back in and you are where you started. You will find this a very simple procedure. I can see why you would want the shop to add the second drive, but you would find the simple removal of the cables is a very easy procedure.

This might also help Acronis to figure out what is going on with the entire system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the old disk contains the backups and it gets disconnected how can a restore be made? Unless I am missing something, the rescue CD wont find the backups?

Does anyone know how to make screenshots of the screens that appear when booting from the Rescue CD?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Hi Roderunner:
    Out of curiousity, what would wiping them accomplish as far as recovering?
    best,
    Dick
    Hi Dick, you did say you wanted to 'move' things, so my MO will allow you to put them where you want.
    On my C: drive, anything thats on it, (a few files & photos only) were copied to it from the originals that are stored on 2 other external hdd's.
    When I do a backup or restore, its ran from within Windows, (using the recovery disk only reinstalls what is already on my PC).
    All my backups are done using the 'One Click' feature.

Thanks
    Sorry Dick, I did not notice your backups are stored on the Disk 1. I guess I thought you used an ext HD as I do. That definitely complicates matters. By the way, 75 GB is not a very large back up drive. My Images all total a little over 20 GB, even compressed. When I total the 3 PC's I Image, it would fill 75 GB quickly and I would have to replace Images to create Up To Date Images. Have you ever thought about an ext HD for this purpose?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tfspry View Post
    If the old disk contains the backups and it gets disconnected how can a restore be made? Unless I am missing something, the rescue CD wont find the backups?

Does anyone know how to make screenshots of the screens that appear when booting from the Rescue CD?
    Use a digital camera without flash.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Well my Acronis saga continues. I made a Rescue CD. I can boot from it; and, of the 3 choices offered from the Acronis menu, I can boot into my existing Windows 7 op system. However, if I choose behind door number 1, and try to recover from an image, it wont let me restore my C:\ image to C:\

So, bottom line, neither a "regular" rescue CD nor a WinPE/Acronis rescue CD work for me the way they are supposed to.

I'd appreciate any suggestions,

Dick,
    Hello.... Sounds to me that Acronis is confused.... Did you change your partitioning after you installed Acronis 2011?... If so it wants to install back to where it thinks it belongs. As far as i can tell when i had re-partition \ Acronis problems. The only solution (i found and your not going to want to hear this) was to recover to a time when TI was not installed ....Then re do the partitioning the way i wanted (OS on disk 0 first partition)... Believe me i tried everything ... i couldn't even un-install Acronis ,registry items, all the file \ folders i could find, Only a "clean install" of TI worked... Keep in mind I'm using 2010 V-7046....Good luck ! Regards Fred

PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    i couldn't even un-install Acronis ,registry items, all the file \ folders i could find, Only a "clean install" of TI worked.
    Fred Hi, to uninstall Acronis, you need to right click on the 'install' tab and extract the .MSI file and save to anywhere, OR just go through the motions of installing it again and you'll get 3 options Repair, Modify or Remove.
    Last edited by Roderunner; 2011-03-07 at 17:59.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted:
    Just to clear up one piece of confusion (caused by me, not you), in the picture of my hard drive setup you see
    that's only 1 of 2 places I backup to. I also use a 320GB external drive for backups. I alternate using the internal for one image,
    and the external for another. I also take W7 images 'cause I've been able to rely on these for recovering from one of my
    "adventures." Though I take Acronis images, it's mostly to be able to work with Acronis tech support. I do rely on Acronis
    for my data backups, and so far have had good luck with that (though I've only had to use that once to recover a data file I needed to recover.)

Hi Roderunner:
    I may have confused you also. I had my op system on the older 80GB drive, and data etc on the newer 500GB SATA drive.
    Thanks to everyone's help here, I have successfully made that swap. Now I'm on to trying to get Acronis to work fully for me.

Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Dick, Disconnecting the hardware would be easy. What I would do while the PC is powered off and unplugged, just to see if it works, would be to open the case, find the old hard drive and just remove the ribbon cable (connects to the MB) from the HD and remove the PS cable (4 wire cable).
    Ted - Just curious, would simply turning "OFF" the old drive in the BIOS achieve the same result - without the need to open the computer case?

I believe Dick does have an external HDD available.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred Hi, to uninstall Acronis, you need to right click on the 'install' tab and extract the .MSI file and save to anywhere, OR just go through the motions of installing it again and you'll get 3 options Repair, Modify or Remove.

Roderunner,
    Hello....That was one of the first things that i tried. Once Acronis gets "confused" there is no amount of "repair ", "remove" or "delete " that will make it work! Again..Apparently Acronis leaves behind some "hidden" stuff that you can not remove, even with their (Acronis) removal tools.. I have been down this road before and the Only thing that worked was..... to go back to a time ..before "TI" was installed ...and then "re-install". After that " TI " will once again work. I can not say what "registry " entry, or some other "goofy named" part of the program that is "Unknown" to all but TI programmers... has to be removed ... But unless you do ..."It ain't Happen" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast