Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Windows 7 Explorer Problem

When I try to run two copies at the same time, from different locations to different locations, same location to two different locations, two locations to a single location, does not matter, I will get a message that windows explorer has stopped working.

When I am copying files and I try to empty the recylce bin I also get the message the explorer has stopped working.

W7 64 bit, SP1, 8 gig of memory, 3 1Tb SATA drives, I7, pretty much standard stuff, nothing exotic.

Searches on the web has indicated that others are having the same issue, but with different cirmcumstances when it occurs.

Any ideas as to why explorer stops working? It is almost as if explorer is single threaded and is puking when running more than instance. Certainly W7 is not that stupid.

Thanks
    Anything more specific in terms of error messages from the event viewer?

I can run multiple instances of explorer without issue. My computer/os specs are similar.

Lounger
    Thanks

Event Log Information

This is from the event log.

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16450, time stamp: 0x4aebab8d
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7b325
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6ab2
    Faulting process id: 0x890
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cbdde8e1eb8abb
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: f7aac3e6-49e7-11e0-9f36-00270e122f16

Thanks
    Run a checkdisk folowed by system file scan;
    SFC /scannow
    sfc /scannow
    To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results
    NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG. This will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in the CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    Type the above in elevated command prompt for details from the CBS.LOG.
    See if the system file checker fixes the explorer issue.

Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Explorer Problem

SFC did not find any problems and did not solve the problem with explorer crashing.

I really want to avoid doing a bare metal reinstall of everything. Any other ideas.

Thanks
    You can run an inplace upgrade (which amounts to a repair/reinstall, which will let you keep your apps and settings, etc.) if you have an installation DVD. I would suggest a drive image first.

Launch setup.exe from within Windows, and follow the prompts.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Repair Install

Well, I would do that. But I don't have the right DVD image to a repair install. I am running SP1 and my DVD is the original disk, SP0 I guess. I would have to slipstream or find an ISO image with W7 Ultimate, 64 bit, SP1 so I could create a DVD.

Slipstreaming is a possibility but can be frought with difficulties. I have done that in the past with XP and was never comfortable with the process. I have found procedures on the WEB and software to do the slipstream. Tried downloading SP1 from the MS website but it fails with a connection reset message. Finding the right files (SP1) is not working and a complete ISO image will be even tougher.

Maybe I will wait a few days and try the SP1 download again.

Lounger
    Thanks

Found a solution

I decided to try something first as I had nothing to lose. I uninstalled SP1 and naturally restarted the system. I then redid the SP1 update. Now the problem seems to have dissappeared. I suspect that a repair install might have produced the same results. But the hassles of getting SP1 and slipstreaming (or getting a full ISO) would have taken longer than uninstalling and reinstalling SP1.

Thanks all for the suggestions. It gave me the idea of redoing SP1.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting back. Be sure to make another Image post successful SP1 install, I like to make an image when a change takes place in my system and SP1 is definitely a change.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy