Thread: End a thread

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question End a thread

Can a registered user that has started a thread, end the thread in some manner? I.E., invoke some feature that indicates that a given thread (started by that user) is closed to further posts?

Thanks
    No.
    Only a mod or admin and only for some very specific reasons.

Thanks
    To discourage further replies in a thread, you could edit the subject line of your original post to add [SOLVED] or similar text.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can we stop receiving email notices of a thread we started?

I found this in the FAQ under Subscriptions....
    "How do I manage Subscriptions and Folders?

Thread subscriptions can be sorted into folders for easy management. You can create as many folders as you wish by going to 'Edit Folders' in the 'Subscribed Threads' section of your User CP. To add a new folder, enter the folder name into one of the blank boxes and save the page. To delete a folder, delete the folder name. Editing a folder is done by simply editing the folder name in the list.

You can also manage your individual subscriptions by clicking 'List Subscriptions' under 'Subscribed Threads' in your User CP. Here you can select which subscriptions you wish to manage and delete them, move them to another folder, or change their subscription type.

Forum subscriptions are not managed through the List Subscriptions page and are shown on the User CP page where they contain the option to unsubscribe from the forum"

That is all a quote from the FAQ. I added the bold, underline and red font for emphasis.

What is "your User CP"?
    I can't figure out how to manage subscriptions. For example how would I stop receiving notifications from a particular thread?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfspry View Post
    Can we stop receiving email notices of a thread we started?

I found this in the FAQ under Subscriptions....
    "How do I manage Subscriptions and Folders?

Thread subscriptions can be sorted into folders for easy management. You can create as many folders as you wish by going to 'Edit Folders' in the 'Subscribed Threads' section of your User CP. To add a new folder, enter the folder name into one of the blank boxes and save the page. To delete a folder, delete the folder name. Editing a folder is done by simply editing the folder name in the list.

You can also manage your individual subscriptions by clicking 'List Subscriptions' under 'Subscribed Threads' in your User CP. Here you can select which subscriptions you wish to manage and delete them, move them to another folder, or change their subscription type.

Forum subscriptions are not managed through the List Subscriptions page and are shown on the User CP page where they contain the option to unsubscribe from the forum"

That is all a quote from the FAQ. I added the bold, underline and red font for emphasis.

What is "your User CP"?
    I can't figure out how to manage subscriptions. For example how would I stop receiving notifications from a particular thread?

Thanks
    Click on "Settings" at the top of the page. Then in the left column there is a "Subscriptions" section. You should be able to manage your subscriptions from there.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Click on "Settings" at the top of the page. Then in the left column there is a "Subscriptions" section. You should be able to manage your subscriptions from there.

Joe
    Hi Joe - Thanks, I had previously done as you suggest. Once I get my list of Subscribed Threads, for an individual thread how do I "select which subscriptions you wish to manage and delete them, move them to another folder, or change their subscription type."?
    I don't see those options.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Click Settings, Subscriptions, and when the list comes up, it will have little square boxes at the right side. Put a check in a box. Click the button underneath the list and boxes "Selected Threads", and then choose the "Delete subscription" radio button, and click GO.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cws For This Useful Post:

tfspry (2011-03-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CWS - Thank you that works !!!

Maybe flavet (post #1) can use something like that to stop getting notices of new posts to the particular thread.
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-03-09 at 15:36. Reason: message for flavet

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To all - Thanks for your posts to this thread. I got my answer with post #2.

Thanks

Maybe flavet (post #1) can use something like that to stop getting notices of new posts to the particular thread.
    If you are already subscribed to a thread... You can also go to "thread tools" at the top of that subscribed thread, and click "unsubscribe from this thread". That will stop future notices for you.

I use subscription features heavily, but have email notification turned off so I don't get buried in emails... I always enter the forums through the "usercp" for updates to threads I'm subscribed to when I first visit a forum. Your subscribed threads are listed at the top there:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/usercp.php

You can also subscribe to entire subforums, which sort of makes them your favorite - this places those forums in usercp also. Typically, I only have a handful of forums I frequent on any given site, so this makes it quicker to get to what I'm interested in without always going through the forum homepage.

Thanks

If you are already subscribed to a thread... You can also go to "thread tools" at the top of that subscribed thread, and click "unsubscribe from this thread". That will stop future notices for you.

I use subscription features heavily, but have email notification turned off so I don't get buried in emails... I always enter the forums through the "usercp" for updates to threads I'm subscribed to when I first visit a forum. Your subscribed threads are listed at the top there:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/usercp.php

You can also subscribe to entire subforums, which sort of makes them your favorite - this places those forums in usercp also. Typically, I only have a handful of forums I frequent on any given site, so this makes it quicker to get to what I'm interested in without always going through the forum homepage.