Thread: XP Mode Needed?

Thanks

XP Mode Needed?

I've read many links included in this forum & online in general, but still lack clarity on why XP Mode would be needed for use in Win 7 Pro.

If you're using 32-bit software made this decade, what programs do not work in Win 7 Pro that work in Win XP Pro? Does anyone know of any?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run into a few, but aside from scanners and other peripherals, not much in the consumer software market. The corporate world is another matter. We still use NetWare where I work, and Console One does not run on Windows 7, and we're running Win 7 32 Bit. Though I must say it runs pretty poorly in XP Mode. I run run it in a Virtual Box XP VM. We've got a few other programs that run on 7, but are not officially supported.

XP Mode is a bit clunky. It's solely intended for corporate use (hence it is only available in Pro and higher) to be a crutch until Win 7 compatible applications are made available. I prefer to use a full blow XP VM.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Bruce, I have to second what Doc said. Unless you have some old, probably 16 Bit although some 32 Bit, software you will not needd XP Mode or any other variation of it. I know many peripherals (printers and scanners are notorious for this) do not have updated drivers for Win 7, but often older drivers seem to work. Unless you do have some of these older apps you can't seem to live without or can't find an updated replacement for, you will probably never use XP Mode.

Also as Doc stated, because corporations have hundreds, if not thousands of PC's, the extra cost of upgrading to Win 7 and upgrading apps being used on those PC's are prohibitive. XP Mode was designed as a stop gap effort to help these corp. users.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, your question leaves me a tad confused, do you want to know about applications that need XP mode that were created prior to the last decade? Or just the ones from the last decade? Computers as business tools have been around a lot longer than the PC, ie, Personal Computer. Consequently some of us created software in languages and on platforms that are now on the endangered species list. I had been writing computer software for 25 years when Windows 95 was released. "Modern" programming languages didn't really start appearing until after Win95. So I have loads of code that I'd like to keep running. XP Mode gives me a few more years to run mainframe code, written in RPG II, using an emulator that quit being developed or sold in the late 90s.

Here's one example of how small companies get stuck in the past. One of my clients is a mom and pop retail chain. They have 12 retail locations and one central office. In the 1970s they paid someone else a small fortune to write the software to run their business. Yes, there actually was a time when you could not order your software off the internet. Over the years this software is tweaked, modified and features added until it becomes the perfect, custom tailored solution to run their business. Now the owners are in their sixties. They have no children who want to run the business. Sixty year olds do not want to throw out the hardware and software they have learned to use. Sixty year olds do not want to spend another small fortune for new software. As the owners of their own software they do not have to pay monthly support and maintenance fees. They do not get hit with new software upgrades that they do not need or want. Everything is just fine as it is.

Then you need email. Spreadsheets. Word processing. Fine, you can add all that by buying a couple of PCs. To run a business accounting package, you do not need a gui nor a mouse. But things do change and they do need someone like me to make software modifications and add interfaces to the PC. I'm 65. On more than one occasion I've had this conversation with the owners: Owner: "We need you to give us some warning before you retire, because when you retire, we're selling the business." My reply: "I'm retiring when you sell the business." So basically, as long as I can keep this old stuff running, I have a job and this particular mom and pop have a business. Winning! ;-) XP Mode is just one more tool to help me do that.

If you had a way to check, you could find out that Microsoft did not run it's accounting business on PCs until well after Win95 was released. They, of course, had the resources and the motivation to move to a Windows Server environment, although it would not surprise me to find out that they still use IBM AS400s or at least did so until the very recent past.

At the time of it's introduction, RPG was THE programming language. Cutting edge. And yet, you've probably never even heard of it. No big deal. Things change, but some of us have a huge investment in old software.

later -

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nylla View Post
    If you had a way to check, you could find out that Microsoft did not run it's accounting business on PCs until well after Win95 was released. They, of course, had the resources and the motivation to move to a Windows Server environment, although it would not surprise me to find out that they still use IBM AS400s or at least did so until the very recent past.
    Ah yes. I remember when they came out with TerraServer. It was so cool, and supposedly proved how robust SQL 6 was. They wanted everyone else to run thier buisnesses on SQL, yet it was funny that they ran their business on 400s. I do believe they are now "officially" off the 400s, but yes, I would not be surprised to find out that they still have one or two tucked away somewhere.
    Chuck

Lounger
    Thanks

Long Live XP!

I reluctantly upgraded to Windows 7 Pro back in December 2010, but still am keeping my Dell OptiPlex 620 running XP Pro just in case I need a dose of sanity! With the new Dell Vostro Windows 7 Pro PC being my primary business desktop, I found an immediate need for XP Mode for two fairly recent applications: Avery Label Pro and Palm Desktop (for a Palm M500). Both of these apps would not work under any form of Windows 7 (native or compatibility modes). Both work great under XP Mode. Both are critical to my business functions.
    I am still frustrated to no end when looking for various utilities, functions and quick fixes to problems in Windows 7 -- it is so easy to find what I need in XP (something simple as the "Up" button in Windows Explorer). I may never be without XP until I die!

Thanks
    Check the Windows 7 Compatibility Center for known Hardware and program compatibility.

Jerry