New Lounger
    Thanks

Data entry forms in Excel2007

I thought that there used to be a pretty easy way to set up forms for a current worksheet so that you can easily view/edit cell contents by column as fields in a form that brings them all together in one place, row by row.

Is there a simple way to do this in Excel 2007? I'm interested in resizing the default text boxes so that I can easily read all contents in a given cell.

I write a lot of test cases using Excel in order to make transfer to a test mangement tool. I'd really like to be able to view fields on a form rather then in cells.

Would this require some VBA?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Question

Garvey,

Perhaps you're refering to the Data, Form option in Excel 2003 and eariler? It has to be added to the Quick Access ToolBar per MS Help.
    Add the Form button to the Quick Access Toolbar
    1.Click the arrow next to the Quick Access Toolbar, and then click More Commands.
    2.In the Choose commands from box, click All Commands.
    3.In the list box, select the Form button , and then click Add.
    Tip For more information about how to use the data form, see Add, edit, find, and delete rows by using a data form.
    Of course it is dependent on you having your database {worksheet} arranged with each column containing a single piece of info e.g., Date, LName, FName, etc. and each row containing all the information for a single record.

See attached graphic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG -
    Looking at that graphis - would it be possibel to somehow adjust the height / width of the box that contains cell data?
    I'd like to be able to see the contents of a cell that contains multiple lines of wraparound text.
    Would VBA allow for that customization?
    It would be well worth some effort in terms of productivity in setting up test cases - and of course they're always very basic - a few columns - mainly "Action" , "expeted result", etc.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This site may be useful for finding Office 2003 commands in Office 2007......
    Use Office 2003 menus to learn the Office 2007 user interface

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tfspry For This Useful Post:

garvey (2011-03-10)

Thanks
    I don't have XL2007 but if the Data-Forms is anything like the builtin feature in earlier versions of excel it is not modifiable and VB does not have access to it.

John Walkenbach (a former MS MVP) has a free enhanced dataform at http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/dataform/home that may be more of what you need. If not exactly, but close, you can purchase the passwork for $15 and get access to the VB to modify the code.

For some general info on creating a form, you can see MS MVP Debra Dalgleish primer at http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Garvey,

As Steve's 1st link will show you you can not make adjustments to the builtin dataform it WYSIWYG. If you want to customize you really need to use the second link and learn how to do VBA Forms. With a VBA form you're in control.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs