New Lounger
    Thanks

WiFi Configuration Issues in Vista

I have a Dell E1505 with an Intel 3945ABG wireless card. I have re-installed the machine for a relative using the Vista software provided by Dell. I know it is older software (more than 100 Windows Updates later!) and I am having an issue with the wireless network card working with DHCP. Windows assigns an automatic private IP address rather than having the router provide. I have updated the driver for the card and examined the MS knowledge base. I have found the Scott Spanbauer article and installed KB 928233. My hard wired network port works fine with DHCP and I can force a fixed IP address to get the wireless working fine. It's only when I try to pull a DHCP-assigned address that the wireless shows "limited connectivity". I have also found KB 942971 that may resolve my issue. However, that KB article has you editing properties for DHCP under Administrative Tools. I can not find the DHCP option! Any suggestions?

Thanks
    See if How to setup a wireless connection helps. If you are getting a default IP address, you are not connecting to the router. Make sure the Router is broadcasting its Wireless SSID. Disabling SSID broadcast provides very little security and makes connection a little more difficult.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had been so focused on the PC and Vista that I failed to look further into the network. I set the SSID on the router to broadcast and instantly solved the problem. Fortunately, if they take the PC on the road, most WiFi access will be set to broadcast. Thank you for your assistance!

Thanks
    Broadcast SSID is a router feature only and doesn't affect PC Security. There are several freeware programs that can detect router SSIDs regardless of whether it is broadcast or not. Setting WPA (not WEP which is easily crackable) security and changing the router logon password is much more important.

Jerry