Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Patch Watch adds problem-patch update chart

PATCH WATCH

Patch Watch adds problem-patch update chart

By Susan Bradley

March's Patch Tuesday proved a light month for fixing vulnerabilities. That could be either good news or bad.

It does give us time to review past patches that gave some of us headaches — and others that needed further testing. You'll find a new summary chart at the bottom of this column.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/03/10/07 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-03-09 at 16:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This chart is a great idea!!!!!

Thanks, Susan.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great idea

Patch Watch problem-patch chart is a great idea. Hope it continues. Thanks for improving an already very useful column. Couldn't have made it thru updating XPSP3 without it!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to add my thanks to Susan Bradley for adding the chart to her column. This chart is exactly what I needed to keep track of these patches!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks also! Your column was already tremendously useful and straight forward and you have made it even more so!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Agree, the patch chart is a Good Addition, but (always the BUT), could the rating ( skip, now, etc) come earlier on the line, so the ratings can be viewed on the right of the screen at the same time as the update screen is on the on the left. Just need to see Update ID and rating when doing updates, not description,or date for that matter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me add my BUT - I would like the listed items to be in ascending KB # sequence. When I visit Windows Update, I copy the patch KBs and then prepare a 'watch' list. I put this list in KB # sequence, so that it is easier to see if I have patches that are being discussed in various forums, etc. When I finally add an update to my PC, I edit the list accordingly and keep a file of my patches, month by month.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outstanding! When I filled out the reader survey, I mentioned that I'd like to see status updates on old problem patches. Thank you for responding with such alacrity, Susan.
    Eric Skagerberg
    Santa Rosa, CA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the chart Susan. Much better than keeping a list on a sheet of paper - which can get lost - of patches to avoid for the present.

The colour coding also an excellent idea.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great chart, Susan... It is good to know that somebody at WS is listening!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A little confused here. Running Win 7 Ultimate x64 on a Lenovo W500 laptop, and was offered Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2483614) as an option, but it was not mentioned in the column. Also not mentioned in the column was an offered-to-me update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB2508979). What's up? Not criticizing, just wondering. (PS: both installed without problems, reboot pending).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a note about SP1. Windows Explorer recently would not open when I plugged a Jump Drive into any USB port. I decided to install SP1 and it did fix the problem. But now a have a new problem. Instead of going into sleep mode when I walk away it actually does a hard shutdown. I uninstalled SP1 and my Jump Drive problem came back so I again installed SP1. Continues to do a hard shutdown so I guess I have to live with the lesser of 2 evils until a solution comes along. Love WS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Love this chart, it's always been a challenge for me to keep up with patches that were on a watch/hold status. Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

patch problems

two questions:
    kb2393802 has already crashed my win7 pro 32 bit box four times when trying to apply. i have no symantec products installed at all, so your reference is of no help. since it now looks that i must choose between a running computer and this "security" update, what do you suggest i do?
    kb2483614 is on my list but not on yours, others have asked what to make of this situation?
    thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawgeek View Post
    A little confused here. Running Win 7 Ultimate x64 on a Lenovo W500 laptop, and was offered Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2483614) as an option, but it was not mentioned in the column. Also not mentioned in the column was an offered-to-me update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB2508979). What's up? Not criticizing, just wondering. (PS: both installed without problems, reboot pending).
    KB2483614 is the patch article for MS11-017. See Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-017 - Important: Vulnerability in Remote Desktop Client Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2508062). MS11-017 was mentioned in the last article.

I doubt that the Junk Email filter updates will ever be mentioned. They should always be installed. If a filter update affects your junk filtering, it will be changed again with the next update.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast