New Lounger
    Thanks

Question What is Crystal Reports doing on my machine?

I have an application from SAP Buissness objects called Crystal Reports Viewer 2008.
    This program is used to generate reports of many kinds. I never bought it or downloaded it.
    it is concerning me because:
    1. It has generated many files and folders on my computer.
    2. trying to open some of these folders produces an "Access Denied" response even when I log on as administrator.
    3. Secunia was doing a scan while I was looking this over and I tried to submit the softwear to them. When I submitted the the path to the application that can be used to launch it Secunia could not acess it showing me a path with \fake path\ in the result they got.
    4. Windows search does not find this stuff, I have to use a special search program.

I know that SAP is a reputable compnay, but does anyonme have any experience etc. with a legitimate use for this program??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Crystal Reports is a popular and widely used business application. Do you normally have to "View" business reports from your company on your system? It looks like you have the "Viewer" and not the actual Crystal Reports program. My guess is that your Company put it on your system.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tfspry For This Useful Post:

dolmanpete (2011-03-13)

Thanks
    Crystal Reports or Crystal Reports Viewer usually is associated with the .rpt extension. Do you get email attachments or open documents from an intranet or Sharepoint server that have a .rpt extension? If so, you probably just want to keep it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

dolmanpete (2011-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted (or thought I did), areply to these comments yesterday, but I must have screwed up.

First I want to thank both Jscher2000 and tfspry for taking the trouble to reply to the thread.

1. Nope I'm are retired - bought the comuter last july - T'aint nobody else had access. never brought the program.

2.I don't have Crystal Reports viewer after all. Yesterday SAP prompted me to download the latest version. I thought AHA I will be able to read what's in those folders. NO dice! I got a sample copy of crystal reports viewer and could do nothing useful with it. That thing is EXPENSIVE!!

3. It is putting FOLDERS on my computer with the lable .cp and some of these I cannot open as administrator which is - to say the least - upsetting. the contents of the folders I have been able to view with wordpad are encrypted except for a few snippeets of text.

4 QUESTION: I am about to backup my system (Acronis) and point the latest CCleaner at the SAP folder and see what breaks. Is this a bad idea?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolmanpete View Post
    3. It is putting FOLDERS on my computer with the lable .cp and some of these I cannot open as administrator which is - to say the least - upsetting. the contents of the folders I have been able to view with wordpad are encrypted except for a few snippeets of text.
    Which version of Windows do you use?
    What is running when the files are created?
    Do you see anything in your StartUP or Task Manager with Crystal?

Please note: The .cp extension is also associated with Apple Xcode and Adobe Captivate. Possibly embedded Flash content.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tfspry For This Useful Post:

dolmanpete (2011-03-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolmanpete View Post
    2.I don't have Crystal Reports viewer after all. Yesterday SAP prompted me to download the latest version. I thought AHA I will be able to read what's in those folders. NO dice! I got a sample copy of crystal reports viewer and could do nothing useful with it. That thing is EXPENSIVE!!
    The SAP Crystal Reports Viewer is free. It can't be used to design new reports. You may have downloaded the full version of Crystal Reports, which runs about $500 (list price).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

dolmanpete (2011-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks this is the third time I have tried to post a reply

Is there a way to formally thank you both for what are helpful suggestions?

1. I am using windows 7 and IE8 on an Intel 64bit dual core Asus computer.

2. The (no visible lable).cp files appear on my somputer someeimes but not always after a session of browsing. They range in size from 0 to 20+Kbytes. I don't know how they get there because I always browse using Sandboxie and I sure never recovered them.

3. The suggestion about flash content resonates with me because I have noted that I find only 1 or 2 .sol files now Instead of the 1 or 2 ddozen I was finding a few months ago.

4. I can't find any reference to Crystal reports or business objects in startups or services although the folder is sitting in my program files. I will check while I am on line, but I will have to do so several times until I find a new .cp folder after a bowsing session.

5. The viewer I downloaded would only open some sample reports that were included in the download. If the Crystal Reports viewer is still a free download, I will get it and see if I can read what is in the folders I can open.

6. I may be paranoid, but I really can't think of any legit reason for any folder on a computer to deny access from the administrator. Thanks again and hope the web page still thinks I'm logged in.

Before I try to post this I'm going to save a copy so I can paste it next try Well I had to log in AGAIN 5 times but at least the page was perserved.

Thanks
    Use the "thanks" button to the lower right of the individuals you wish to thank.

You may find these programs somewhat more useful than the Windows default:
    Autoruns for Windows v10.06
    Process Explorer v14.01

I would also check the services section for anything unusual there, as well as IE's browser addon section.
    For 100% access to any folder in question see this thread # 6.

I assume that an independant AV/AM scan, preferably from safe mode, was run prior to all of these posts??

New Lounger
    Thanks

The business objects Folder has vanished from my computer.

Just because the latest with my crystal reports problem is so VERY VERY wierd I am posting below one of the many Crystal reports files and folders that i have been able to read with word pad.

The program folder is no longer in my Proram Files or anywhere else I can find. While I was checking out the CR viewer 2008 the licenseapproval window opened I clicked I do not approve. I checked later in theday and the installation was still there. If that somehow dled to the deletion that seems very strange. Of course i don't know the full contents of the download, but I never got any notification etc.

thanks I have explorer 64, I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and get to grips with Process Monitor. the referenced thread is interesting. While i have run several Scans with Zone alarm and MS Security essentials i did not think to use safe mode. I have also been running as a limited user. The referenced thread looks very interesting. Since the program seems to be gone it will probably be OK to close this thread.

Just to show I am not hallucinating here is one of the dozens of objects that are still on my computer. It appears to be formatting instructions and harmless. todays date is because I have inserted returns.
    Content of file C:\Users\Browsing\AppData\Roaming\Buisiness Objects\Crystal Reports Viewer 2008\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.r untime\.settings\.org.eclipse.ui Modified 3/13/2011 12:13 PM Prefs File 2KB
    #Fri Mar 11 10:11:45 PST 2011
    com.bobj.crystalreports.viewer.community.RssServic e.LAST_FEED=<?xml version\="1.0" encoding\="utf-8"?>\n<rss version\="2.0" xml\:base\="http\://boc.sdn.sap.com"xmlns\:dc\="http\://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">\n<channel>\n <title>CRViewerFeed&\#039;s blog</title>\n <link>https\://boc.sdn.sap.com/blog/11039</link>\n <description></description>\n <language>en</language>\n<item>\n <title>CHECK OUT SAP STREAMWORK</title>\n <link>http\://sapstreamwork.com/</link>\n <description>\n</description>\n <comments></comments>\n <pubDate></pubDate>\n <dc\:creator>CRViewerFeed</dc\:creator>\n <guid isPermaLink\="false"></guid>\n</item>\n<item>\n <title>EXPLORE YOUR DATA </title>\<link>https\://create.ondemand.com/explorer</link>\n <description>\n</description>\<comments></comments>\n <pubDate></pubDate>\n <dc\:creator>CRViewerFeed</dc\:creator>\n <guid isPermaLink\="false"></guid>\n</item>\n</channel>\n</rss>\ncom.businessobjects.crystalreports.designer. uibase.directories.
    LastDirectory=C\:\\Users\\Browsing\\Documents eclipse.preferences.version=1 com.bobj.crystalreports.viewer.ApplicationWorkbenc hWindowAdvisor.WINDOW_WIDTH=1040 com.bobj.crystalreports.viewer.ApplicationWorkbenc hWindowAdvisor.WINDOW_LEFT=-8
    com.bobj.crystalreports.viewer.ApplicationWorkbenc hWindowAdvisor.WINDOW_TOP=-8
    com.bobj.crystalreports.viewer.ApplicationWorkbenc hWindowAdvisor.WINDOW_HEIGHT=744
    Last edited by dolmanpete; 2011-03-13 at 16:05.