New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro and MS Security Essentials Install Issue

I am hoping somebody may have seen this issue and can offer some help. I have gone to the MS web site as well as a few others but it didn't help with this issue.

I installed MS Security Essentials a while back on my Dell Laptop running Windows XP Pro. It installed just fine and was running along with Norton Antivirus 2006 with no problems at all.
    I was wanting to see if MSSE would do as well as Norton and it seemed that if either one saw something so did the other.
    Now for the problem..........
    I suddenly had an issue with Norton that it was giving some weird errors when starting up applications such as Outlook etc. I looked to Norton and it said that none of the various items were running. Also, I couldn't even uninstall Norton from the Control Panel or from the original CD.
    Also, there were some issues as well with the MSSE not starting up as well. Soooooooooo I figured what the heck, I went to Norton site and installed and executed the removal tool for Norton 2006 and it did remove it.
    I then uninstalled MSSE as well. Rebooted and tried to install then just MSSE on the system.
    NOW I get error msgs during the install of MSSE that says it cannot find
    the file.
    It starts the install and creates the TEMP folder and expands the fileset including
    mp_ambits
    epp
    dw20shared
    the setup application
    sqmapi.dll

The error msg is one that says that "c:\<tempfolder>\mp_ambits.msi" is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Antimalware. Try to find the installation package 'mp_ambits' in a folder from which you can install Microsoft Antimalware.

I figured that most likely my download of the install was corrupt, so I deleted that download and re-downloaded the fileset.
    Again the error msg comes up.

Has anyone run into this issue and if so can you offer some help in getting MSSE installed properly????? I know that it must be something that is on the system now causing this issue since I was able to install it originally with NO problem at all. Something must have hit my system that neither Norton nor MSSE didn't detect which may be causing this.

Any Help would be appreciated bunches.

Thanks
    It is not recommended to run 2 Security apps in real time. They tend to cause each other problems. In addition I have read that MSE does not always play well with XP. I use MSE, but with Win 7, and love it. Make a decision on which you wish to use and stick with it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You may want to either manually, or by a registry cleaning tool, remove the left over entries in the registry.
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Security Essentials
    by expanding the branches in the left pane until the branch forMicrosoft Security Essentials is displayed.
    Right click "Microsoft Security Essentials" in the left hand pane and select Delete.
    Close the registry editor.
    You may also need to do a more thorough uninstal/clean up job by ensuring the root folders and or subfolders are removed from the programs installation area and any other areas as well.

Use CCleaner in combination with it's own registry cleaner

You would also be well advised to create a backup in the event further issues arise.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In fact, I really didn't want to continue to use Norton, and I went in, and used a Norton uninstaller package to remove completely Norton 2006. I even opened the registry and did a few various scans for different things such as "norton", antivirus 2006, norton antivirus 2006 etc. Just to make sure there was nothing still in the registry that might be being referenced.
    I then did the same for MSE as well, wanting to make sure that nothing was left of it that might do this.
    It still will not install. I continue to get the error msg that it cannot find the file "mp_ambits.msi" even though it just opened the fileset and expanded that exact file. So I guess that even though I did sucessfully install MSE the first time, SOMETHING, somehow changed that now is keeping it from installing.
    Not sure what it is causing this, but I have my suspections that some file either a malware or otherwise is causing the problem. I guess I can try to re-install XP Pro which isn't to much of an issue for me, as I can run backups to the external hard drive unit etc etc etc and try this again. I just am really curious as to WHAT caused it to blow out. Of course, with Windows I may never find out what in the "wide wide world of sports was a goin on here"
    I just thought maybe somebody has also had this happen and found out what it was that caused it to occur. But you are right that MSE and XP, even XP Pro are not the best of buddies.
    Thanks for the response.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also did that very thing of running the search in the registry of "MSE", Microsoft Security Essentials" Security Essentials" and i did just now go to the area you mentioned here, and there is nothing in the registry referring any longer but STILL will not install it again. Same error msg as was discussed. So as I stated to the other person that replied, something changed that caused the failure of both Norton AND MSE to fail and whatever it was will no longer allow MSE to install and it was so bad that I had to uninstall Norton with a special uninstaller from Norton, it would not uninstall from the control panels, add/remove applications area or from using the CD to uninstall either. I may try to put Norton back in or just use AVG as well. Just really did like MSE and the way it ran on the computer. Again thanks to the both of you for your reponses to the post.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I might suggest that you download and install "Revo Uninstaller" which is a very effective removal tool. They do have a free version.