Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop computer screen flickers and any unsaved screen data is lost

This started about a month ago---This happens only on some programs such as Outlook and Quicken. It affects Quicken the most, since I have the most trouble entering screen data for this program, Quicken 2004. I am running Win XP pack 3. I have tried running the antivirus scan but it finds no virus. There seems to be a more or less regular hard disk access (disk light flickers regularly) which may be related to the problem. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Mike

Thanks
    I would first make a complete backup of your HD. This could be indicative of hardware failing. Quicken is a touch more intensive than some other apps. When the flicker happens and you loose data I believe either a CPU or possibly HD or PS is intermittently failing. I could be wrong, but why take the chance Image the HD then see a repair tech.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    You might run 'chkdsk' and see if any problems are detected with your hard drive. If it is like most laptops, it will be one drive and one partition, so go to a dos shell and then type in 'chkdsk c:' and see if it finds any problems. It is not the best test in the world, but it is free and already installed on your system.

Thanks
    As Ted suggested, I would first make an image backup of your hard drive. Some laptop manufacturers provide a hardware diagnostics tool with their machines. If you have one of these, it would be good to run it after finishing your image backup.

If you run chkdsk, go to the Command Prompt screen and enter chkdsk /f or ckdsk /r so it will repair any problems it finds that it can handle. The 'r' switch will take longer to run, but is more thorough. When you enter the command, you will be informed that Windows cannot run chkdsk while the drive is in use and will ask for permission to run chkdsk on the next restart.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't, as a rule, throw parts into a broken system without doing some isolation to ensure I corrected the issue. Nor do I tell an application to fix a problem without first establishing that it is the problem, but that is only my lowly opinion. You'all might want to suggest the application he should use to create the image file, where he should store it and how to retrieve it should his system go belly up.

Thanks
    The are many discussions on Imaging in the Security and Backups forums. No sense rehashing all that here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy