New Lounger
    Thanks

duplicate file and file sync freeware?

Hi, I am looking for good freeware to deal with duplicate files, and a program to sync files.
    I sync my files between a windows 7 desktop, and a windows xp laptop, plus an external hard drive, plus a thumbdrive. I also use the free versions of Dropbox, Windows Live Mesh, Windows Live Skydrive, and Picasa to store files & sync them in the cloud.
    Thanks for any advice.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll give those a try. Have you ever tried NoClone? I have a free copy, but haven't tried it yet.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfcrane View Post
    Hi, I am looking for good freeware to deal with duplicate files, and a program to sync files.
    I sync my files between a windows 7 desktop, and a windows xp laptop, plus an external hard drive, plus a thumbdrive. I also use the free versions of Dropbox, Windows Live Mesh, Windows Live Skydrive, and Picasa to store files & sync them in the cloud.
    Thanks for any advice.
    You are using Windows 7, so type 'sync' in the box when you click on Start, and you will find 'folder synchronizer' and 'sync center' and assorted other capabilities conveniently built right into the operating system. For cloudy days, if you'll pardon the expression, visit sync.live.com (using your Live account) and download the Live Sync software. There is even more powerful stuff built into the system (command line and all that) which I can't remember details of, since I use GoodSync. You might also download the freeware FreeCommander, which will let you perform many different file operations. This last may be the most powerful available in freeware, simply because it can perform so many different operations (but you may have to spend a bit of time learning the extent of it).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, it didn't occur to me that Windows 7 already had a sync program.
    I am trying to sync between the Windows 7 pc, a thumbdrive, a Windows XP machine, and an external drive.
    So far syncToy seems to be working.
    Auslogics Duplicate file Finder seems to work well too.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even though I mentioned SynchToy, I actually prefer SyncronizeIt! (http://www.grigsoft.com/winsin.htm) SyncToy is missing a key feature that makes it pretty much useless for me. (Actually, I should really say that the SyncToy's UI in. its attempts to be helpful, has made a key feature impossible.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Far better tools for synrchonize and reduce duplicates

http://www.ascomp.de/index.php?php=p...g=synchredible
    does only sync, when files are different (bit by bit), at times you want to do so.
    http://www.clonespy.de/ searches clones=duplicates, you can say bits are the same, or eventually only names are equal.
    Both tools are very quick.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both tools are very quick
    Synchredible took 90 minutes to determine that two directories containing MP3 files were the same. It takes SynchronizeIt and SyncToy less than a minute to make the same determination. I suspect that Synchredible is calculating checksums for each file, hence the longer processing time. The directory in question has over 9000 files and uses over 35GB of storage space.

Thanks
    I have found this program full featured, flexible, accurate, and fast for file synchronization. It works locally and across the network. I have not tried it for Cloud operation. You can even create batch operations.

Free File Sync