New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Word 2007 - ERROR: "There was a problem sending the command to the program"

I receive this error each time I attempt to open a document. If I start Word to create a new document, the error does not occur. If I then create and save a document, any time I re-open that saved document (or any others), I receive this error.

I can open the saved document by dismissing the error, and double-clicking it again, but this is a HUGE annoyance.

Thanks
    It sounds as though the DDE setting for the .doc and/or .docx extensions are broken.

You might want to "re-register" Word's file extensions, which simply involves using the /r startup switch. This article provides more than anyone really needs to know: How to use startup command line switches to start Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000. In brief:

Close Word
    Start > Run > winword.exe /r {ENTER}

Does that fix it?

If you want to try manual surgery and are running Windows XP, you can view/edit the setting from Windows Explorer or My Computer: Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab > [appropriate extension] > select open then edit or modify. If you uncheck the "Use DDE" box and save, then the registry should be updated.

Thanks

Error: sendind the command when openin Word 2007 document

It seems that your first solution worked for me. Thank you.

Close Word
    Start > Run > winword.exe /r {ENTER}

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Thank you! The run command worked like a charm - best advice on the net after looking for quite some time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks - good fix for a very annoying "clunk" sound...........