New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Is programing really that obtuse?

I am not sure if I should be posting this here, but could not find any topical area that seemed a closer match.
    I keep my program files and OS files on separate partitions. I have several programs that I have been using since Windows 3.1. When I have gotten a new OS 95, 98, XP and Windows 7, all I do is copy the program files to a folder on the drive where my programs are installed and they run without a hitch.
    On the other hand I now have programs of a similar vintage where the installation files will not even run on Windows 7. Even on XP simulation they do not run, when I had the the program installed on my computer with WIN XP.
    Is it not possible to do the kind of programming that some of these older programs have, where the program is completely "self-contained" and just run when executed. I know that is possible, as I have described.
    I would love some insights into this. Among others I would love some thoughts from Fred Langa on this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yes, it is. Just do an internet search for "portable applications".

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you running 64-bit Windows 7? Are some of those older programs 16-bit? If so, they will no longer run. 23-bit Windows should still run 16-bit programs, but 64-bit Windows will not. In some case, older programs that are 32-bit programs have 16-bit installers, and therefore you cannot get the installer to run. In such cases, if you have the program installed on an older drive you might be able to copy the program's directory to the new machine and still have it run. But it all depends on all the stuff that the installer does. This is one of the worst things about Windows applications - the amount and number of changes that the installer makes all over the place (various directories, the registry, etc.). Unfortunately, that is just the way that Windows programs are, and the ones from Microsoft are the worst offenders (with Office and Visual Studio being the worst).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HaraldG View Post
    I keep my program files and OS files on separate partitions. I have several programs that I have been using since Windows 3.1. When I have gotten a new OS 95, 98, XP and Windows 7, all I do is copy the program files to a folder on the drive where my programs are installed and they run without a hitch.
    On the other hand I now have programs of a similar vintage where the installation files will not even run on Windows 7. Even on XP simulation they do not run, when I had the the program installed on my computer with WIN XP.
    HaraldG,
    Hello.... Have you considered just "dual booting" XP and "7" ? This way you can run your older programs, and have the speed of Windows 7 without having to jump through that many hoops... Just choose which OS at boot time. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Harald,

[Ramblings of an old programmer]
    As computer programming has evolved from direct wiring of circuit boards to machine language to Assembler Code to 3rd gen languages like Fortran, Cobol, Pl-1, C to 4th gen OOs {object oriented languages} and operating systems progressed from text screen to graphic displays {windows} things get more and more complicated for the programmer and simpler for the user.
    In the bad old days before GUI {graphical user interfaces} the programmer as well as the computer expended about 5-10% of their effort on the UI and 90-95% on actually accomplishing the task at hand, i.e. useful work! Now that equation is basically reversed where 90-95% if the effort goes toward fancy UIs and 5-10% on accomplishing useful work!!! Add to this the increasingly onerous task of adding security to programs to prevent the bad guys from wreaking havoc on your data and you start to get a feeling for the complicated task that the programmer faces and that is not even mentioning the "Burger King" mindset of most users.
    [\Ramblings of an old programmer]
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the all the thoughts and input. I have a rudimentary knowledge and understanding of all that has been described and shared. Thanks so much. I still have a tough time understanding how a program that was introduced for Win 3.1, now runs without problems on WIN 7 64bit without re-installation. Either the programmers were brilliant, or did not know they put together something that was that good for that long.
    Fred, I have had dual boot machines, but I don't find the time and hassle worth it to dual boot for one or two programs. I also now have my OS on a SSD to speed things up a little and with limited space and wanting to keep that as clean as possible, I don't particularly want to have another OS sitting around that I use 5-6 times a year.
    Regards to all of you!
    Harald

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HaraldG View Post
    Fred, I have had dual boot machines, but I don't find the time and hassle worth it to dual boot for one or two programs. I also now have my OS on a SSD to speed things up a little and with limited space and wanting to keep that as clean as possible
    HaraldG,
    Hello...and one last thought...Have a look at this link, it might be of help to you http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ista-and-7.htm Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)