Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Why is Windows 7 boot time so long?

On my HP dv6-2170us laptop the boot times are: 10s for the BIOS, then 37 more seconds until the desktop Icons appear but at this point the PC is not usable.

It takes another 48 seconds until the desktop flashes the Icons and it becomes usable. What's it doing during this period? At what point does MS quote as boot time?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Microsoft (and most other vendors) measure boot time to when the desktop appears on a system that has NO additional software starting. As to what is going on after the desktop appears, the remaining programs that start at boot time are being loaded. Also, services designated as "deferred start" are being loaded.

If you want to track down what is happening at startup use a utility such as Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The biggest problem you have is that your system was created/configured by HP. HP loves to add a bunch of crap that loads at startup. I bet if you run the programs Joe suggested and disable all the HP junk thru msconfig you'll see a vast improvement (you can always re-enable it later). If that isn't the case then you also have to take into consideration the limits of the PC itself. If you have very little or slow RAM, a slow processor, small front side bus, etc you're gonna have a slow starting PC.

Thanks
    Believe me HP is not the only manufacturer that loads tons of crap. I think they all do. PC Decrapifier can help to clean things up. (That really is the name)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello CA.

I went to msconfig and I only have three items loading first, MSE, Word and Java. That is it, that is all. Quick as a bunny !

I am still trying to figure out the "Services" stuff. Easy does it. Jean.

Thanks

I don't use msconfig

to control startups; I use the registry. I also dual boot Home Premium and Ultimate and use a boot manager. From pressing the start button until my boot manager asks for a choice of OS is 15 seconds. I have all the bloatware cleaned out of my Dell Inspiron 580 midtower.

My Ultimate installation is not standard. From the time I select Windows in the boot manager until the logon screen appears is 26 seconds, including a 5 second delay before Ultimate is chosen as the default. When I select a logon icon the password screen pops up immediately. After I type in the password, I start timing from clicking on the "Go" arrowhead. I can have Adobe Photoshop loaded and ready to open an image in 16 seconds.

For my standard Home Premium installation, the times are 30 seconds to logon screen (I use 5 seconds to switch from the default Ultimate so the times will be comparable) and 30 seconds for Photoshop to be ready to open an image.

These times do not include the time necessary to type in a password.

So subtracting the 5 second delay, machine time to boot and load Photoshop in Ultimate is 52 seconds. For Home Premium it is 70 seconds.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    To control apps starting with Windows, check out What's In Startup. You can easily disable or delete apps that do not have to start with Windows. This will speed the boot process.

WhatsInStartup.jpg

The other thing I do is to look at the Boot tab in msconfig.exe. I shorten the time out to a more manageable 3 sec and choose no boot gui.

msconfig.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello.

I did the same as above in your last post. Thanks.

Now, I have ± 110 services loading at startup. What can I do with these ? If I uncheck them one at the time, will they stay listed and I could recheck them if it proves detrimental to the machine ?

A great day to you. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Ted, hello.

I did the same as above in your last post. Thanks.

Now, I have ± 110 services loading at startup. What can I do with these ? If I uncheck them one at the time, will they stay listed and I could recheck them if it proves detrimental to the machine ?
    You need to be very careful about disabling services. You may find you make your machine unbootable. If you insist on messing with individual services, I recommend you visit Black Viper's Windows 7 SP-1 Service Configurations.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You also don't have to disable services. For those that you are tempted to disable you can instead set it to
    "manual." I have also tweaked some services on my system so they don't start automatically, but instead
    are "automatic (delayed start."

Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello JoeP.
    >>> You need to be very careful about disabling services.
    I was. I asked you first, did I not ? And I have not disabled anything yet nor plan on doing some. I was trying to pick your mind and Ted's as you both are quite knowledgable in this regard. None of your recommendation has burnt my fingers. Thanks to both and many others.

Now, what are these services doing ?

A great week to you, Jean.

NB: JoeP, I just had a peek at that URL, Viper's, quite the reading to do. I will dump it to a printer and study closely. Again, mega thanks.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2011-03-14 at 10:51. Reason: NB: added.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello JoeP.
    >>> You need to be very careful about disabling services.
    I was. I asked you first, did I not ? And I have not disabled anything yet nor plan on doing some. I was trying to pick your mind and Ted's as you both are quite knowledgable in this regard. None of your recommendation has burnt my fingers. Thanks to both and many others.

Now, what are these services doing ?

A great week to you, Jean.

NB: JoeP, I just had a peek at that URL, Viper's, quite the reading to do. I will dump it to a printer and study closely. Again, mega thanks.
    See Windows 7 services. Click on the service name for a description. Also, note that on the page to which I linked in the first post each service name is clickable which takes you to the same description page as this link.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, JoeP.

That URL is quite exhaustive, it will need careful reading and studying.
    Are these "Services" slowing down the OS, I have >130 of them and my Acer 64 is quite speedy. I then see no need to intervene but the eduction is a + for sure.
    Be good. Jean.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Another way to do this quickly - BUT MAKE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT FIRST - is the S.M.A.R.T. utility from Windows Club, which uses several of the Black Viper profiles.:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/smart-...ta-xp-services

Zig

Thanks
    Try the Windows Secrets recommended Soluto (download page). After rebooting following installation, Soluto will provide a list of every program. If my memory serves, it lists essential and "non" essential programs and time used during bootup. You can then see what may be the culprit or culprits causing the slow bootup.

It is possible that you may have a program that may not have installed properly. Hopefully, Soluto will help you spot a program that may not be booting in as timely a fashion as it should so you can uninstall and reinstall it.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast