Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How big of partition should I leave for Windows 7?

If you look at what is spec'd for XP Pro it "requires" 1.5 gig. I have a 16.6 gig partition for it and it's almost full and I've deleted all the old Windows updates, moved program files (other than those that just have to be on C, temp files and swap files to their own partitions. Windows 7 requires 16 GB for (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) how much space do I really need?

Thanks,

Marc

Thanks
    Hi Check Marc, that depends on how much you intend putting in C: I have about 10 mb in it that I put there myself, making backups faster and smaller. Both my PC's C: drive's are only 45gb. Backup file size under 5gb takes approx. 7 minutes.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks

Windows partition size

There are no programs that have to be on C:. There are some that are hard-coded to install on C:, but they can be moved, and still continue to function normally in every way.

See Set 7 Free for a different view or how to operate Windows.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I posted I only have the minimum on C all my program files other than the ones than must be on C, swap file and temps files are in their own partitions. XP Pro "requires" 1.5 gig and I'm closer to 14 gig now. I'd do the same thing with 7 if I can.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly IE and OE both, at least use to, had to be installed on C but nothing else. At least I could never get them to work correctly if they weren't.

Thanks
    If you have the patience, you could create your own install for W7, mine uses about 4GB on a 7.5GB netbook drive. It really depends on which features you (don't) need.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    If I remember correctly IE and OE both, at least use to, had to be installed on C but nothing else. At least I could never get them to work correctly if they weren't.
    Not entirely true. With a bit of registry editing, they will run from any partition you want them to run from.

My Windows currently amounts to 19.1 GB, of which 4.5GB is a hibernation file. If I eliminated hibernation, I could run Windows comfortably (and have) from a 20GB partition with all features (except hibernation) fully functional.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-03-10 at 22:59. Reason: clarity, spelling
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow - post 6

I am interested in "you could create your own install for W7, mine uses about 4G". Can you point me in the direction of how to do it please? Currently I make an image in case I need to re-install.

Brian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I think about it I could move them but if they needed to be updated that freaked out because the update could find the install on C. I may have have been hallucination.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-Martin View Post
    satrow - post 6

I am interested in "you could create your own install for W7, mine uses about 4G". Can you point me in the direction of how to do it please? Currently I make an image in case I need to re-install.

Brian
    This post has a few sizes and details, Brian.

Thanks
    Now that I think about it I could move them but if they needed to be updated that freaked out because the update could find the install on C. I may have have been hallucination.
    They have no problem updating.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Sorry about the late post, just got home. I have left 75 GB for my OS /app partition and the remainder of a 320 GB HD for the data partition. Have an OS partition of 75 GB has left about 50 GB free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted are you running 32bit or 64?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I leave Program Files and Program Files (x86) on C, but I have moved my personal directories (docs, pics, etc.) to D:. I originally thought that 64GB would be sufficient for C:. After running out of room I upped it to 128GB. But a few game installs later (Steam insists on installing in c:/Program Files, it doesn't give you a choice) and I am once again out of room and will now reclaim the rest of that hard drive and use all 500GB for C:. Hopefully that will last me a year or two.

On my laptop I get by with about 130GB (there is only the one partition) but then I don't install as much stuff. Though I am somewhat limited on the number of video files I can put on it so I have to pick and choose. I'd get a larger hard drive for the laptop but it's over three years old and is already showing some issues - I am waiting for it to bite the dust so I can replace it.

Hard drives are cheap - less that $100 for 2TB at Fry's. So why be concerned about squeezing things into small spaces?

In both cases I am using Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks
    Ted are you running 32bit or 64?
    Check in my signature! 64 Bit
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast