Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) - do I need it?

I use Secunia PSI to check for updates/old applications. I recently got a report
    "This program was detected as Insecure, it is strongly recommended that you apply the latest security patch from the vendor of the program."

From the Microsoft site I found this
    "The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed."

I am confident I never installed it so assume it came with the laptop. How do I know if I need it? Where would I need to look to see what applications are using that Package?

In the Control Panel then Programs then Uninstall a program I have spotted five more related to Visual C++, four with a 2008 tag.

So the general question is - do I need them?

Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Normally, the Visual C runtime is installed when you install a program that needs it. Once installed Windows Update should offer patches to keep it current. Outside of installing patches, I'd leave them alone.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe

Thanks for the reply. I will do the update and that will stop Secunia advising the update is required.

Incidentally Windows Update have never offered the patch.

Brian