Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drive, or motherboard?

I have a PC that has developed an interesting problem. Windows 2000 setup has complained and told me the following:

"Setup has determined that your hard drive is corrupt and cannot be repaired. Setup cannot continue."

Interesting though, because this occurred *after* I copied the CD to the hard drive and ran setup from there. When I booted with the CD and ran setup, I had different problems....

"The file ****** could not be copied. Press Escape to skip this file and continue with setup...."

This same hard drive existed peacefully in an OEM system for a year without a hitch. And a second physical drive, a 2.1GB Western Digital, lives in this machine but mysteriously disappeared when I booted into a command prompt from floppy.

This all started when I opened the case, snapped in an additional 256MB of RAM, and closed it up - which made Windows 2000 (which had been installed) complain that the SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt. Huh, that's funny, it was running fine until I shut it down to add memory...

So, here I begin to wonder if the IDE controller on the motherboard is bad, and I need to replace the MB, or if the hard drive is genuinely bad, and I need to replace it instead.

Hard drive or motherboard? Hard drive or motherboard?
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hard drive, or motherboard?

I take it you re-opened the case and checked for obvious stuff like dislodged connectors to drives etc?
    Ewan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, yeah, most definitely - everything is plugged in and "working" but still the hard drive thing spooks me. A perfectly fine drive, and then pow! it acts up with a different motherboard.....and the 2.1GB not even showing up.....?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Take the RAM out and retry. If that does not work then unplug each IDE cable and replug them one at a time and both ends at the same time. Watch for ESD this time of the year.
    Keep me informed.

ileacy

Mark:

I have seen strange problems after adding RAM. In one case bad ram, in another bad DIMM connector.

It is unlikely, but not impossible, that the new MB corrupted the hard drive.

Lounger
    Thanks

Plan B would be to swap the drives and cables to another known working PC just to rule them out of the equation

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I discovered something new. Since none of my efforts to recover the Windows installation on this machine bore any fruit, I decided to re-install into a new directory. Halfway through Win2k setup I got a BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

To get this far I had to copy the CD's contents to the hard drive; when installing directly from CD I encountered several unreadable or corrupt files - on a known good CD.

The hard drive is readable in my bench system, so it appears that the onboard IDE controller is hosed. A new motherboard is on its way, since this was the perfect excuse to get rid of an older AT style mainboard. Anyone want a slightly used AMD K6-2 450? [img]/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know it has been a long time, but did this solve the problem?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In fact, yes - the IDE controller was shot. The same hardware plugged into a new mobo was the solution for the long term. I had also tested the drive in a separate, working Win2000 system, and it passed the burn-in and formatting tests there.

That old Tyan mobo needed junking anyway. Garbage!!
    -Mark