Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

My programs are hidden - how to see them?

Running windows XP Pro SP3: When I hit "start" and open that, then click "all programs" I see most of the programs that are there. What is happening is that the list goes over the lower toolbar to the bottom of the screen. When I bring my cursor to the lowest point, I see the sub-categories pop out of a program that is there but I cannot see it. I just installed the program so I know its there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it the Catalyst Control Center program? If not, what program can you not see?
    Do you have your Start Menu set to "Highlight newly installed programs"?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes it is the Catalyst

yes it is the catalyst Control Center which is part of a new graphics card I installed today. and yes at least I "had" it set to highlight newly installed programs. Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the right bottom of Programs list, your pic shows Catalyst Control Center. Have you clicked on it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I can see that "after" it is opened and can click on it. shouldn't I be able to see the program name before I open it? If I hadn't known the program was there I would not have known to look there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a couple of things you can do - Among them are ...
    1) (Not Recommended) Right click a program in the All Programs list and choose "Sort by Name"
    2) Wait until you add another new program. The All Programs list will expand to three columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You, I will wait till the I install another program and see what happens from there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

There is a setting to fix your problem

Hi goodguy50s,

Here is how you set the setting to eliminate your problem.

Right click on any unused portion of the taskbar.

In the popup window left click on "Properties".

In the next popup window put a check mark in the box for "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows".

Left click on the "OK" button at the bottom of the popup window.

That's it !

Now ALL windows & menus will re-adjust themselves so that the taskbar does not cover anything.

It probably would also help to repeat the process except this time put a check mark in "Lock the taskbar".

This will eliminate the possibility of the setting being changed without you unlocking the taskbar.

Have a great day -

Murray

Murray aka Grumpy Geezer

My Primary System: Windows XP SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU
    Asus P5Q PRO TURBO Motherboard
    O.C. 4.4 GHz stable & permanent
    4 GB Memory
    1 x 300 GB Maxtor HDD
    4 x 500 GB WD HDD's
    1 x 80 GB WD HDD (operating system)
    Cooler Master HAL-932 Full Tower Case

New Lounger
    Thanks

task bar

Thank You Murray. The screenshot I sent previously shows that how it is. But I did try your solution.... and the taskbar is still under the "programs" list.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodguy50s View Post
    Thank You Murray. The screenshot I sent previously shows that how it is. But I did try your solution.... and the taskbar is still under the "programs" list.
    <br><br><br>&nbsp;This setting is a very basic procedure in WinXP SP3. I don't know why it doesn't work for you. Looking at your expanded menu I feel I can safely say that you are not a "newbie". The first thing that comes to mind is that possibly you did not put a check mark in the little box to the left of "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows". Just to be sure go back and double check that it has a check mark where it should be (the little box). Don't be insulted but if your handle indicates anything ("50s") then you are an elderly old fart just like me. Part of being elderly is always having to double check yourself when things don't go the way they are supposed to.

<br><br>In the 1st column of the More Programs menu it looks like something on the bottom is missing as I do not see the menu border. In the 2nd column it looks complete with "Open Office" appearing as the last item. In the 3rd column I see the icon for a "Help" file appearing AFTER "Catalyst Control Center" This makes me wonder what you are referring to in your original thread when you say you cannot see it. It's there, it can be seen and there is no sub-menu indicated for it.
    <br><br>There is one more thing you can try and that is to delete the the item in the 1st column "Windows Update".&nbsp; This is obsolete and was replaced a couple years ago by "Microsoft Update" which I see also in the 1st column. This will open up one spot in the menu and if anything is being hidden by the taskbar it will appear after you make that deletion.
    <br><br>I lied! There is one more thing you can try but you may not want to keep it permanent. In the taskbar popup window insert a check mark in the little box to the left of "Auto-hide the taskbar" and then look to see if this solves your problem.

<br><br>Murray

Murray aka Grumpy Geezer

4 GB Memory
    1 x 300 GB Maxtor HDD
    4 x 500 GB WD HDD's

New Lounger
    Thanks
    LOL yep Murray I am in "over 50" set. No offense taken. Ok I think I may have to clarify what I am talking about. First, the third column you see is the expanded column for the Catalyst Control Center. Here is a new screenshot of the "programs menu" with the Catalyst Control Center not expanded. Now the program name is not visible but it is there. And it is in front of the tool bar and hidden by the bottom of the screen. In the first pic I have the arrow on the Catalyst program opening the 3rd column.
    Again, Thanks for your help...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking more of the years of the 50s (1950-1959) which were my teen years. That puts me about 20 years your senior. Anyway, the ole brain just kicked in again and I have a new solution for your problem.

If you slightly reduce the resolution of your screen it will reduce the size of the screen. Then you can adjust the screen by dragging the outside edges to fit the new boundaries. With any kind of luck, depending on the quality of your monitor, it won't make a noticeable difference on your screen background picture. At the same time you should leave the "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" check marked.

Some times there is more than one way to kill a cat, but the other way is messier.

Murray

Murray aka Grumpy Geezer

4 GB Memory
    1 x 300 GB Maxtor HDD
    4 x 500 GB WD HDD's

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks again. That did the trick. I have a Dell 19" wide screen flat panel monitor. The previous setting was at 1367 X 760 but changed it to 1280 X 720 and as you can see by the new screenshot, I can now see everything. But WOW everything is soooo large....LOL.. But the main point is that I can now see ALL "programs" on the list now.

Again, Thanks for your attention and help here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodguy50s View Post
    thanks again. That did the trick. I have a Dell 19" wide screen flat panel monitor. The previous setting was at 1367 X 760 but changed it to 1280 X 720 and as you can see by the new screenshot, I can now see everything. But WOW everything is soooo large....LOL.. But the main point is that I can now see ALL "programs" on the list now.

Again, Thanks for your attention and help here.

If the size really bothers you there is another setting you can change which will reduce the pixel size of the words on the screen. You might want to take a look at it and play around with the setting a little bit.

Right click on your desktop background.

Left click on "Properties"

In the new window left click at the top on "Settings"

In the new window left click on the bottom on "Advanced"

In the new window in the upper half expand the menu under "DPI Setting"

In the expanded menu left click on "Custom setting"

Put the cursor on the ruler and while holding the left mouse button down move it either right or left to adjust the pixel size of words on your screen. Experiment with this until you find a percentage that looks comfortable to you. With each change you will have to go through the procedure again to make another change.

Good Luck -
    Murray

Murray aka Grumpy Geezer

4 GB Memory
    1 x 300 GB Maxtor HDD
    4 x 500 GB WD HDD's

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    why don't you create new folders – in All Programs – and put in your programs by categori? Then you can search from 15, 16 lines
    instead of the 60 you have now.

POC!/Oskarius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast