New Lounger
    Thanks

Ubuntu 10.10 problems after install to external HDD

I did a full install of Ubuntu 10.10 to a Seagate external HDD. When I say full install I mean running the installer and fully installing 10.10 to the drive, NOT using Universal USB installer and putting the live CD on a thumbdrive.

The install went well and Ubuntu boots and runs perfectly. The problem I'm having is coming out of standby/sleep mode. Ubuntu enters standby/sleep no problem but when I open the lid of my laptop the computer wakes and starts running but all I get is a black screen and a cursor. I have to do a hard restart to get out of this.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this? It's happening on all machines that I boot from so I can rule out a hard ware issue with a specific machine.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How is the Seagate drive connected to the computer? Via a USB port? Whatever you are using I suspect that the driver is having a hard time waking up, or it needs something from the OS drive, and since the drive is not present until the driver is running....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    How is the Seagate drive connected to the computer? Via a USB port? Whatever you are using I suspect that the driver is having a hard time waking up, or it needs something from the OS drive, and since the drive is not present until the driver is running....
    It's connected via USB port.

I also use Ubuntu 10.10 on a Flash Drive. I used Universal USB Installer to put the live CD on the thumb drive with persistence. Ubuntu wakes and sleeps fine on the drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    Ubuntu enters standby/sleep no problem but when I open the lid of my laptop the computer wakes and starts running but all I get is a black screen and a cursor. I have to do a hard restart to get out of this.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this? It's happening on all machines that I boot from so I can rule out a hard ware issue with a specific machine.
    Can you type anything at the cursor?

Have you tried logging in again by username and/or password?

Maybe it is looking for a password to come out of the sleep mode. There is a setting that has to do with wanting a password after the screen saver kicks in. I found it annoying since I am the only user so I disabled it. Not sure if this is of any help since sleep mode and screen saver are two different things. I run a remastered version of Ubuntu 10.10 but it is on a desktop.

Harold